rear beam swap. brake line problems

Haydyybear

right im in the process of swapping my sport beam out for a gti beam as I want to be able to add camber easily and as the gti has a single construction stub axle and this will be easier to work with! ive been told the rear brake lines will snap if I try un do them? so looking for advice/ tips and tricks and if anyone knows where to get lines?

erm....

the gti beam disc set up is the same as the sport.

If you want a single stub to add camber you should go look at polo stuff or put drums on.

6n2 would fit and you would only need the sub axle and caliper carrier but you should also consider the lost width in the beam which would tuck wheels a bit more.

I have a whole gti beam assembly, just going to swap out the whole beam as ive striped the gti one back and painted it. the carrier is attached to the stub axle on a gti tho so I can just  add washers behind the stub axle and it will angle both where as with the sport id have to fit washers behind both the stub axle and the calliper carrier  

24 minutes ago, Rich said:

the carrier is not fitted to the stub axle on the gti or the sport.

they both use a carrier plate system.

yeah I have just discovered this haha didn't really pay attention even tho I stripped the bloody thing. so what do you recommend?

2 hours ago, Haydyybear said:

ive been told the rear brake lines will snap if I try un do them?

With the correct advice that Rich has put above, along with the above quote...

This really highlights why looking into things and also just trying things rather than relying on the internet is a good idea. 

How much camber are you trying to add anyway? 

Edited by cj1

the rear brake lines don't have to snap.

if you attack them with a spanner hoping that they will undo then they will be liable to.

if you prepare them and undo them nicely you might get them.

17 hours ago, cj1 said:

With the correct advice that Rich has put above, along with the above quote...

This really highlights why looking into things and also just trying things rather than relying on the internet is a good idea. 

How much camber are you trying to add anyway? 

yeah I just wanted to see if it was just my friend that had troubles with the lines, ill be trying when my new hubs turn up and about -5 I believe it will be as im adding 3-2 washers 

17 hours ago, Rich said:

the rear brake lines don't have to snap.

if you attack them with a spanner hoping that they will undo then they will be liable to.

if you prepare them and undo them nicely you might get them.

yeah they'll be covered in a lot of wd40 before removal and ill be as carful as possible haha

On 06/02/2018 at 4:36 PM, cj1 said:

.How much camber are you trying to add anyway? 

I'm curious... if you leave the stock shocks and coils on the rear, how does the behaviour of the back end change as you keep increasing negative camber? I'd guess being such a short wheelbase car, most of the time it'd not make much difference. But if you really threw the car around, like on a track, with low profile tyres, would it just hold on a little bit longer than stock, then suddenly snap? I remeber reading about how there's a link between wheel base length, rear mass proportion and camber angle to maximise cornering grip, with the only down side is that there's little warning before it lets go. Positive angle gives you loads of warning! So somewhere inbetween is fine for rubbish road drivers like me!

• 1 month later...