AKU 1.7 block marked 1.9?

mk2

On 02/02/2018 at 5:33 PM, Rich said:

they use the same strange box.

If you're refering to the gearboxes then that's not quite right (Apologies if I've got the wrong end of the stick)... The Golf 1.9 SDI's use an '02K' gearbox (Same with the Octavia 1.9 SDi's too FWIW). It's basically a modified '020' of the type found in most of the early Golfs but adapted to allow for a hydraulic clutch, it can also be found in 1.4 and 1.6 Mk4's, albeit with different ratios.

Interestingly it's possible to convert (For Mk4's at least) to allow the use of the stronger Mk4 TDi unit, something I've given some thought to lately....

Edited by JoeyEunos

2 hours ago, lupo 1.7sdi said:

I don't  think so. You can not ignore it when installing toothed belt ;).It is the shaft that drives the oil pump.

God you're right! And I'd never noticed. I always thought that was just an idler pulley, as it had no teeth on it... shows what do I know!?

And to cover two points in one post...

@rich.. that's one rare beast. I'd guess if it's mint, and it looks good from here, that's perhaps £10k plus. Only because it's one of the very first. Would love to just have a good ogle over it. Shame you're on the moon.

• Like 1

Just had a close look at the pics on the mk2 site. It so reminds me of the old polo (mk2?), you know the one with the long back windows.  The dash looks identical as do a lot of other bits inside. It'd be great to do a full restoration on it. It'd get a lot of interest at shows i'd imagine. Could enter it at Stonor ten mins from us. Was the mk2 golf released in RHD form in the uk first? If it was, that might be the earliest remaining mk2 (RHD) on the planet.

10 hours ago, Rich said:

weren't we on about polo sdi in 1.9 form?

Probably, and if so then my bad :ph34r:

One thing's for sure, VAG seem to have had a blanket policy over the years of reserving their 'special' gearboxes for the TDi models, SDi's have always used hand me down parts bin petrol items (085, 02K etc)

Ah well, at least we don't have DMF's to replace I suppose ^_^

9 hours ago, mk2 said:

Only trouble is you guys all speak funny... we speak english down here ;)

There's a sliding scale/spectrum of severity RE Northerness, I like to think I'm fairly coherant end as well :D

1 hour ago, JoeyEunos said:

There's a sliding scale/spectrum of severity RE Northerness, I like to think I'm fairly coherant end as well :D

A few years back I helped a mate strip a stolen recovered R36. We drove up in his van to this place called 'Hudder's field' I think it was. We got out and had to use my phone's translation software to communicate. I don't think we ever crossed any large areas of water, so I can only think we must have still been in some northern suburb of London. It did take a few hours to get there, but my mate doesn't have the best sense of direction. Anyway, midday we got peckish and decided to go round the corner to find some food. There was a place called a 'chippy', which looked very similar to our well established eateries which serve a most nourishing cuisine of fish and chips. Again, when I asked if I may partake in such culinary delights, I was proffered a mars bar cooked in batter, a cold white bread sandwich with chips in, or a slice of pizza similarly coated with batter. How very odd we both thought. Suffice it to say, we opted for a more familar diet of chips... Cut a long story short- upon returning and implanting aforementioned engine/tranmission in a mk1 Corrado, it was found that not only did the inhabitants of said 'field' speak funny, enlarged r32 ECU's also must have had dyslexia as it took considerable time to translate the messages eminating from the newly implanted system. I can only imagine that inhabiting foreign lands must have an influence in the language spoken. Lots learned...

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, danno said:

@mk2 get yourself up north. Ask @mattarosa about the dinner that @mscherryviolet made him. Although then again I think @Rich would be a good contender. We'll have a coffee morning.

Yeah come up north with me soon, meet me middle of the country and ill drive you the rest of the way, for two reason, one to visit Danno again and two so I can obtain parts from rich.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mattarosa said:

Yeah come up north with me soon, meet me middle of the country and ill drive you the rest of the way, for two reason, one to visit Danno again and two so I can obtain parts from rich.

Quite offended that you only wanna see him like..... one less Yorkshire on your plate next time 

4 hours ago, mscherryviolet said:

Quite offended that you only wanna see him like..... one less Yorkshire on your plate next time 

Obviously you'll always be second on my list,  Amèlie is obviously the main reason I come, being my best friend and all :D

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mattarosa said:

Obviously you'll always be second on my list,  Amèlie is obviously the main reason I come, being my best friend and all :D

That’s ok then :) and yes she loves you. I wish I’d taken a picture of her sat on your knee now haha 

39 minutes ago, mscherryviolet said:

You’re always welcome. Me casa su casa x

sounds like he is in there.

i visited once and i was informed you were not getting dressed and you were playing Xbox therefore too busy.

• Haha 1