AKU 1.7 block marked 1.9?

mk2

Quick one for you pros out there...

I've been offered an AKU 1.7 engine (my lupo has AHU 1.7). they look the same but the AKU has a 1.9 on the casting... Did Vdub use 1.9 blocks and just fit them with 1.7 cranks? I thought all AKU's are 1.9. No question. Anyone heard of an AKU being factory fitted to a 1.7 SDI lupo?

AHU isn't fitted to a Lupo as its a 1.9 TDI engine

AKU is a 1.7 SDi engine

The 1.9 SDi engine codes are ALH and AYQ as found in Polo-style caddy vans

Edited by lupogtiboy

Solved...

I had an interesting chat with local Vdub spares dept (usually the font of good general knowledge!).

My 2003 car does have an AHU which is 1.7 original from factory. Came with the car. The engine I'm thinking of gettingis indeed a 1.9 block, and like I suspected fitted with a different crank and pistons, to give you 1.7.

The pics I've seen of a few AKU engines do look exactly the same as my engine. Confused? You bet I am.

It seems that as VW were getting to the end of the Lupo SDI run, they were running out of engine blocks, so they used mix and match off the shelves. Apparently quite common towards the end. I have seen a really early genuine original SDI a year ago with a CABLE throttle and linkage on the pump- like mk3s.... Can't remember the engine code, but I'm sure it wasn't AKU or AHU. It was cream in colour, that's all I know....

All this does tell me something though. You could completely legally strip an AKU block, bung in regular 1.9 crank and pistons and end up with a 1.9, registered with DVLA as 1.7. The engine number wouldn't change. Might need to change one or two other bits, but hey it'd be different. Everything else could stay the same. But you'd need a remap to take advantage of the extra capacity.

DSCN4431.jpg

13 hours ago, lupogtiboy said:

Completely contradicts what ETKA says then!

Yeah! I never thought much about it till I was offered the AKU lump, and when I looked closely it clearly says 1.9... that's not a photoshop pic, it's real. I wonder if anyone out there has a lump out of their car where you can read that it says 1.7 (on an AKU). 

Interesting....

Legally, manufacturers are meant to have the capacity stamped or cast into the block. Or.... is the 1.7 SDI actually a 1.9.....?!? If only i had an engine in pieces, i'd do the 'burette column' capacity test just to see. If vdub BS about their emissions, it's possible they bs about engine capacity! You can limit the power purely by the amount of diesel you inject. Two engine versions, but they are in fact the same, power limit controlled by the ECU. I mean who would ever measure the capacity? What the emission gas is made up of perhaps, but not the swept volume of air that goes in. Hmmmm.

Edited by mk2
Missing word

I wonder how long an 085 rebuilt box would last with a tdi.... now that would be a quick & easy project.

Same block, with turbine.

Bolt on box.

Remap ecu. Unless your name is sausage :) and you know how to unlock the tdi maps in the sdi ecu....!

Drive.

SDI economy with gti performance.

flash a suitable tdi map to your ecu, or do file compare between tdi and sdi map and make the changes I guess.

you would need to keep the torque curve well under control for the gearbox for sure. Remap to 130hp. :D

Edited by Sausage

5 minutes ago, Rich said:

£200 would buy a pd plus all the crap from me.

I'd love to see a pic of your workshop/yard and all the piles of stuff you're trying to offload....!

Is the pd the same block as the standard tdi one?

But thinking about the amount of effort- by just adding a turbine to a stock 1.7 (1.9) with existing loom/ecu etc and a remap, you could double your power for peanuts. It's almost like an afternoon's project!