Declaring coilovers

Toby_Fox

Hi. I'm new to here. I own a 2006 1.4 Fox which is my first car and it's great. I'm getting some coilovers for it so I rang up my insurance the other day and asked how much it would be to lower it 50mm on coilovers. When they say "lower" do they know this means coilovers? Or does it just mean any types of lowering cause I got the sense the guy wasn't too bothered about coilovers. I don't know if this would be adding value to the car or anything and would change the quote. I also have got a set of 15" ASA alloys that I told the insurance about but they literally only cared about "alloys" not the different size, dimensions or anything. I found it weird cause my fox came with the standard alloys from Vw not the typical steelies so I thought they would want to know a change in size or anything at all (so confusing). After all they said these mods will cost no more on my insurance which I found odd. When I install the coilovers and wheels im worried if I get stopped by the police for which reason I wouldn't know and I haven't declared my mods properly cause it isn't detailed enough on the insurance companies behalf it would cause a problem. Any help please??

Edited by Toby_Fox

Any change in suspension needs to be declared, coilovers, air, lowering springs etc. Same as changing the appearance of the vehicle, so wheels, bodykits, Interior. If it’s fitted and not declared you may as well not bother insuring it at all.

Declare everything in writing would be my suggestion in a dated signed letter (or email)and keep a copy of it yourself, less wiggle room for them to make **** up when it suits them. insurance is a rigged one way street, they demand the earth from you and give nothing in return if at all possible and they make it their business to make sure that happens.

Dont draw attention to yourself and the chances plod will pull you are much reduced.

9 minutes ago, weslangdon said:

when making statements to Insurance always say to the best of my knowledge, just in case a previous owner did something they didn't tell you about

True, but that means nothing when they make the rules. I read the small print on my policy a few years back to discover it stated they do not insure vehicles that have been written off previously like CAT C, CAT D. But they are happy to take your money and not pay out when it is discovered your vehicle falls foul of that rule. How the f@ck is that in the small print and not plastered across the top banner of the website and automatically checked on insurance application and your application rejected, oh that's right, they want your money and wont pay out on a claim.

Thanks. this is very helpful. I'm not doing anything else so hopefully won't draw too much attention to myself as I don't drive like a wannabe racing driver (like some round my town with their weedwacker cut off exhausts.) I just would like to add my own subtle touches. 

20 hours ago, Sausage said:

True, but that means nothing when they make the rules. I read the small print on my policy a few years back to discover it stated they do not insure vehicles that have been written off previously like CAT C, CAT D. But they are happy to take your money and not pay out when it is discovered your vehicle falls foul of that rule. How the f@ck is that in the small print and not plastered across the top banner of the website and automatically checked on insurance application and your application rejected, oh that's right, they want your money and wont pay out on a claim.

I think that would fall foul of the unfair contract terms legislation, as CAT C and D cars have been repaired and tested, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unfair_Contract_Terms_Act_1977

57 minutes ago, DAN@ADRIAN FLUX said:

HI,

If you do ever need any help with modified insurance then please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan.

Hi Dan, can you confirm that in many instances Insurance companies try it on with these blanket disclaimers and whats needed is persistence and the help of a good broker