non starter, Arosa TDI

weslangdon

Battery is a only a couple of years old and hasn't seemed at fault glow plug lights go out but flash when I'm cranking the engine but car won't start. Attached jump leads from another car and it started immediately, ran car for 20 minutes, parked it, tried starting it 4 hours later, no joy, assume battery is at fault?

Test battery on a multimeter...

Get someone to turn the car over whilst you're checking, if voltage dips anywhere below 9V when cranking then the battery has seen better days irrespective of whether it shows as 12.5V etc whilst it's doing nothing....

Test alternator on a multimeter...

Start the car (Jump leads if needed) and make sure you're getting circa 14V under load (Lights/stereo/blowers on)

As others have said, very much sounds like battery to me too.

• Like 1

My auto electrician is on holiday so I can't get the magic link till he gets back but I know its not battery or glow plugs as I've changed the latter to no effect. What's worse it wont go on the jump leads either whereas it did last Thursday, pi55ed off as I'll have to use my 4x4 and it drinks petrol

• 5 weeks later...