Options for GTI tyres

Chris-M

I've had a poke around on here and the net. Can only find Toyo Proxys in 205/45/15. 

Is this my only option if I want to stick to the OEM tyre size? Also does anyone have the data on the factory fit tyre - rolling radius etc. Currently running 195/45/15 ditchfinders. 

Cheers - Chris.

• Like 1

Found it! 

Dunlop SP2000 205/45/R 15 - correct? There is some chit chat about Yokohama and Goodyear Eagle F1, but I can't find those. I run Eagle F1 asymetrics on other cars. I'd have those if they were available - excellent tyres.

Anyone running 205/50/15?  I have picked up a spare set of Bathursts, with Toyo 205/45/15s. 2 of the 4 are OK, so I suppose the thing to do is put a pair on the front and see how it feels.

I am still on standard suspension, well worn cheap replacement dampers up front, temporary APs chucked on the rear, as existing had fallen to bits. New O/S springs as they were both busted. 

Edited by Chris-M

The 205/45/r15 I could find where toyo and a random brand. Both where summer tyre only. So i ended up going 195/45/r15

I have heard of people fitting 205/50/r15 but these rub from what I have been informed.

If anyone does hear of any other brands doing 205/45/r15 then if you can put them up that would be great

I've run a few 50 profile tyres on mine and they all rubbed on full lock, be it 205/50 or 195/50

195/45 r 15 is the best compromise for the Bathursts, fit well and no rubbing and don't look stretched at all.

The OE Dunlop SP2000's were bloody awful on mine, caused loads of understeer, plus there isn't much choice of manufacturers for replacements. 195/45 r15 there are loads of options, I tend to go for Uniroyal Rainsports.

Try Oponeo.co.uk. I found Toyo Proxys in 205/45/15. I haven't order anything from them yet, was told about the site from a lad at work. They are based in Poland.

I had 50 on my GTI and the rubbed then I got the Proxys 205/45/15 from a Motorsport company near me here in Ireland, It took them 2 weeks to get them. It was after this that I heard of Oponeo so haven't had to order from them yet.

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m53b0s462p0/Car_Tyres_-_MPV_Tyres_-_People_Carrier_Tyres_-_15_inch_R15_inch_-_205_45_15_205_45R15

Camskill only have 2 types of Toyos in the GTI original size. This lot are very good and great prices too

Hi Chris,

I'm not so sure about looks :mellow: I have 195/45's from the time of purchase, and parked next door was another smart GTI with the 205/45's. I have to say I was really envious, as it really does add to the cheeky, chunky look... Will buy 205's when replacing as I want that look!:wub: