Hard brake pedal in neutral

Clutch cable snapped yesterday and has been replaced (fun job, right?). Could be irrelevant however I'm now noticing a hard brake pedal when coasting in neutral. Absolutely fine when in gear. 

Brake fluid is fine suggesting a vacuum issue but why only when in neutral? I've had a very quick look over the vacuum line and there doesn't appear to be any damage.

25 minutes ago, cj1 said:

So you're only noticing it after the clutch cable snapped? 

Yes. Like I say, it could well be a coincidence.

The old cable snapped where it connects into the pedal and appeared to be the original.

6 hours ago, cj1 said:

Yes, more likely to be a coincidence. 

There isn't any connection that could  cause the effect you're mentioning that's related to the clutch. 

But is there any connection that could relate it to being in neutral rather than in gear?

40 minutes ago, DeanH said:

But is there any connection that could relate it to being in neutral rather than in gear?

engine rpm.

vacuum leak, flakey vaccum pump or flakey servo most likely.

As the vacuum leak is a free fix look for that 1st, either the small vacuum pipes or the fat one off the servo which is prone to rubbing and going brittle.

7 minutes ago, Sausage said:

engine rpm.

vacuum leak, flakey vaccum pump or flakey servo most likely.

As the vacuum leak is a free fix look for that 1st, either the small vacuum pipes or the fat one off the servo which is prone to rubbing and going brittle.

I've had difficulty starting the car some mornings and had to press the accelerator to get the engine to fire up. Felt similar to when the intake manifold gasket perished on my MK2 polo causing a vacuum leak. 

Any quick tests to check the vacuum pump? I've read test procedures for servo and hoses, I'll do that tonight.

Edited by DeanH

• 3 weeks later...