Lupo GTI Instrument sounder

Old Timer

Hi All,

Please can you help with a tricky one. At the back of the Lupo speedo is a sounder that let's you know when the lights have been left on etc... Mine's bust, and it's a right pain! I don't want to replace the speedo itself with all that entails, do any members know whether you can take a working sounder from a donor speedo, and fit it to mine? If so, what are the likely cars that have compatible speedos so I can begin the hunt.

As always, thanks for looking, and spending time supporting fellow Lupo nuts!

Mk4 Golfs, Boras ? Supposedly on the cluster. Faulty lock switch contacts can cause issues with this, so if you have other lock module symptoms, eliminate these first. I have no 'lights on' warning beep, but I have an O/S lock fault. Interior light not functioning as it should, alarm issues etc. 

Dear Rich and Chris M,

Thanks, yes I can confirm the sounder is on the back of the instrument cluster, same as the Polo at that time apparently. I have been able to rule out the (often naff) door switch as apparently the same contacts are used to set the security alarm and interior light which  both work fine, but thanks for the tip! I guess the burning question is whether the sounder in this age of car is able to be separated from the instrument. Certainly you can't in new cars, and certainly you could in some older ones... It's just where the Lupo sits in the generation of the technology. Please may I ask, has someone achieved this? If not I'll take a punt on a Lupo or Polo 6N/6KV instrument, and give a go. Are there any out spares out there?

Hi Rich and hoddlewaddle,

Many thanks for the replies. First off hoddlewaddle, been able to show it is not the (crappy designed) drivers door switch but thanks for suggesting!

Hi Rich, how DO you know :O) And yes please to the challenge of making the change, very happy to pay postage if you let me know preferred method. Happy to be contacted off line if you prefer? Out of interest, will the Lupo take the Polo 6N2 door switch system without radical modification? Look out for the "Engine cover" topic coming today :O)