1.4 16v subframe

hoddlewaddle

Considering fitting a 1.4 16v in the current 1.0 - let's not get into the whys and wherefores, it's a project for the two of us...

Until I get one in front of me to compare, I'm not 100%, but is the subframe the same and the bolt-on mounts different... or do I need the full frame?

I understand the Sport hubs are different and enable the fitting of proper sized brakes - how much else is different chassis-wise between the Sport and a boggo 1.0?

Rear end comes with discs IIRC? Naturally I'm concentrating on the important bits (that make noise) first.

(If I've missed a very obvious topic, please feel free to insult me and direct me to it...)

On 11/4/2017 at 9:26 PM, hoddlewaddle said:

Considering fitting a 1.4 16v in the current 1.0 - let's not get into the whys and wherefores, it's a project for the two of us...

Until I get one in front of me to compare, I'm not 100%, but is the subframe the same and the bolt-on mounts different... or do I need the full frame?

I understand the Sport hubs are different and enable the fitting of proper sized brakes - how much else is different chassis-wise between the Sport and a boggo 1.0?

Rear end comes with discs IIRC? Naturally I'm concentrating on the important bits (that make noise) first.

(If I've missed a very obvious topic, please feel free to insult me and direct me to it...)

• Subframe is the same. Only 3 that are different are the GTI, 1.4TDI and the 3L. 
  • Sport hubs are different yes. Rear beam is also different as you mentioned as they have the discs on. But you can change from the stub axles outwards to convert the drums. Handbrake cables are slightly longer for discs on the back too. 
  • Engine mounts are different obviously too. 
  • Everything else "chassis-wise" is the same.