SDI Rocker Cover Gasket- Genuine Or Aftermarket?

JoeyEunos

As per the title chaps :)

Approaching 140k and Mrs Eunos's SDI has developed a samll leak from both the upper bolt 'sealing ring' gaskets and also the rocker gasket itself. The geunuine parts run to about £55, where-as aftermarket Febi or FAI items come in at half the cost.

Some links to show what I'm looking at....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rocker-Cover-Gasket-for-VW-LUPO-1-7-98-05-SDI-AKU-Diesel-Febi-/311748672570?fits=Model%3ALupo&hash=item4895ab3c3a:g:o~cAAOSwux5YOTUx

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3x-Rocker-Cover-Bolt-Seal-Ring-Upper-for-VW-LUPO-1-7-98-05-SDI-AKU-Diesel-Febi/311761397273?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D46150%26meid%3Dd01f842b83c347c499ea042828a1d3ff%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D311748672570&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3x-Rocker-Cover-Bolt-Seal-Ring-Lower-for-VW-LUPO-1-7-98-05-SDI-AKU-Diesel-Febi/311751928703?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D46150%26meid%3D992ab87aa4444ee2bfb8bcedf26a02fa%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D311761397273&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Has anyone here completed this task? Worth stumping the extra for the genuine parts or is aftermarket acceptable?

Also, I'd be grateful if anybody has access to the torque setting for the three rocker cover bolts ;)

As always, thanks in advance for any wisdom/guidance/musings on this.

Right, in the complete absence of any kind of response here I've gone for the 'Elring' gasket including the upper bolt seals from ECP for the pincely sum of £8.99 using todays 40% discount code :ph34r:

The silence on this topic was deafening, meanwhile I've watched threads about ill fitting heavy oversized wheels skyrocket RE replies. I wonder if I'd have done better with a question about which £150 Ebay coilovers would best 'improve' my handling...? This is probably as good of an insight/metaphor into the way the VAG scene works as anyone needs :rolleyes:

Ah, well, I may well put a ring of gasket paste around the upper bolt seals for good measure and will endeavour to update this topic to make clear how the Elring gasket fits/holds up incase of the unlikely event that any future CL members who have an interests outside of the the usual bag it/sub in boot/16" wheels craic stumble across it  :)

50 minutes ago, JoeyEunos said:

The silence on this topic was deafening, meanwhile I've watched threads about ill fitting heavy oversized wheels skyrocket RE replies. I wonder if I'd have done better with a question about which £150 Ebay coilovers would best 'improve' my handling...? This is probably as good of an insight/metaphor into the way the VAG scene works as anyone needs :rolleyes:

To be fair it's a gasket. There's probably not much difference between any of them. For functional purposes they all do the same job, there's no different usage, it just sits there.

Coilovers / Wheels are entirely different and depend on usage, road condition, speed bumps, performance or comfort, etc. etc. 

Completely appreciate the point, but all gaskets aren't all of the same quality...

Aftermarket rocker gaskets on MX5's for example nearly always leak, the only solution being to go OEM. Having never done the job on the Lupo, I wondered if there were any similar experiences/knowledge the forum could offer...

Clearly the answer is either "We don't know", or alternatively it's a non issue and not worth discussing. Either way some insight was what my heart desired in this instance ;)

1 hour ago, Rich said:

i wonder where the elring branding idea came from?

probably another thread.

TBF you did call out Elring as a possible brand to use, albeit in another thread as you mentioned. As luck would have it they're the only one that ECP stock.

It's actually been a pretty testy morning for me so perhaps my mini-rant was slightly OTT, although it was intended to be tongue in cheek ;)

I'll see how I get on...

Edited by JoeyEunos

@JoeyEunos I was going to reply go aftermarket, but then I subsequently decided the question is a bit daft. It's been asked so many times, and it usually draws someone to say go OEM, me to say go aftermarket, and others to say use bits of both.

I always use aftermarket, but I'm tight, and I'm short termy. Regarding those that leak on the MX5, there will be a reason and it probably isn't quality. Ill-fitment perhaps.... or the fact that many manufacturers (Audi included) suggest fitting gaskets with no silicone sealant. 

Elring are a known aftermarket brand and are excellent quality. Use a bit of silicone sealant when fitting. Not too much and don't drop any in the block like others have done. You'll be fine.

2 hours ago, Skezza said:

@JoeyEunos I was going to reply go aftermarket, but then I subsequently decided the question is a bit daft. It's been asked so many times, and it usually draws someone to say go OEM, me to say go aftermarket, and others to say use bits of both.

Meh, seemed like a perfectly sensible question to me. 

I ran several searches and couldn't find any debate or discussion of this at all.... Perhaps I'm not looking in the right places?

2 hours ago, Skezza said:

Regarding those that leak on the MX5, there will be a reason and it probably isn't quality. Ill-fitment perhaps.... 

Isn't how well a part fits part of it's 'quality'? ;)

For the record I'm not trying to get into a bun fight over rocker cover gaskets, life's too short. 

I'll get it done either this weekend or next, I might even take some pics for a 'how to' whilst I'm at it :)