Sign in to follow this  
Skajme

wishbone/arb advice

At my last service the car got an advisory that the rear bushes were on the way out, looking at the wishbone's aswell they are pretty horrendous so I decided I'd just replace the whole thing and do the ball joints at the same time and try stiffen up the ARB. (already changed track rods about 6 months ago)  I managed to pick a set of wishbones up that already have powerflex bushes fitted, and I have ordered all new bolts for fitting. Was just after a bit of advice for when I set about removing the old one's and fitting the new one's. Any helpful tips, things to be careful of or like an ideal order to remove everything?

Second part is polybushing the ARB. I know the GTI bar is 22mm but I can't for the life of me find powerflex drop link bushes that are 22mm? Are the end's narrower or do they just not do them?? And I assume its best to just get new drop links and fit the bushes to them?

The steering is pretty vague and the wheel can be wobbled a bit with barely any steering action going on which is why I decided to give everything a freshen up. After 16 years it all looks pretty grim.

Think that covers everything. Apologies if it is slightly rambling :rolleyes:

I'm in need of a front end refresh as well.

rear beam bushes on these seem pretty durable, get a second opinion.

as for the 22mm, you'd be surprised how much will have worn off that roll bar in 16 years.

Oh sorry yeah I meant the rear bushes on the wishbone, Not the rear beam!

Hmm, so it's probably best to try and measure the bar end then to see what I'm looking at more accurately? 

yeah.

rear wishbone bushes are shoddy, problem is when you change them once it becomes annual.

not a fan of the polys, once you understand how they work and what they absorb you see the importance.

that's the most complicated relevant time consuming piece of 80s awesomeness I can find 

Edited by Rich

That video was actually awesome, I'll give you that! See what you mean about the bushes now, hmm.

So is there anything to be careful of while doing this or is it all fairly straight forward? Learnt how to do a lot of stuff since owning the car, changed suspension/brake disks, pads and that kind of thing, so I'd like to think I'm reasonably handy now. Just don't want to massively bodge something up and I can't find any sort of guide really on doing it.

take wishbone off.

decide where to disconnect ball joint...

bash bush out, cut metal collar out using saw.

bash bush in.

refit.