Ryan's 20VT Lupo Track Car

Ryan_lupoo

Hello everyone, i am starting this abit late as i have done quite abit to the car since i got it, but better late than never!:lol: so i will try and start from the beginning and then carry on from there on wards.

So to start off with i got the car June last year, it was advertised as a 90% finished 20VT Conversion, so i got it with the intention of finishing it off with my dad and then just having it as a weekend toy. Here are some photos from the Ad.

IMAG0206.thumb.jpg.a5c463813d2721ec6057c8755c2f9e97.jpg

IMAG0205.thumb.jpg.81e8eec7cb2ff579402e2f81fbeef02f.jpg

IMAG0204.thumb.jpg.d80aeabed414d6a217c6985a574ba3fd.jpg

I unfortunately dont have the photos of every bit of progress i made, but i will try and dig out everything i can!

So first problem came when driving the car home, it had a horrible knocking noise when driving and turning to the left. which we later found out that the near side drive shaft was too long. 

So just to make sure that the driveshaft was the problem, we had a family friend that works at a fabrication company shorted the driveshaft about 40mm, which cured the knocking, but the car to this day still does have a weird vibration when turning to the right, which im yet to find out the problem. but its still drives fine. 

So after the knocking noise was seen to, i then moved the air filter back up into the engine bay and got rid of the big plastic pipe. changed the MAF out for a new one as the old one was playing up pretty badly. so that cleared up any running issues. so now the car was running and driving fine it was time to get down to business :D time for a colour change !

So i unfortunately don't have any photos of prepping the car for paint, but do have some photos of it in the booth and afterwards. 

I didnt have thousands of pounds to cash out on a crazy re-stray so basically me and my dad prepped the car at home, and then it was driven to a friends bodyshop where he painted it pretty much free of charge on a Saturday morning, then driven home about 25mins after coming out of the oven:lol: i know not the best !

So just the outside of the car and the door shuts were painted at the bodyshop, the inside of the car my dad was going to do in the garage at home as that didnt need to be perfect and could be done with a small paint gun and compressor we have. Also my dad smoothed the front bumper before painting because why not ! :D

IMG_7738.thumb.JPG.24cb2fddb1a2fabe8e3eea57866443df.JPG

IMG_7737.thumb.JPG.3c67d356b95506bce0f3956d713ab0d5.JPG

Once the car was back home and painted, i had a delivery that week of 2 Corbeau Pro Series seats, some harnesses and sub frames

This is the best photo i could find of when i first fitted everything up

IMG_7817.thumb.JPG.3020088690d04390c9b201bc87817a54.JPG

As you can see the inside of the car was painted by then.

Also some photos of the car in the driveway after a clean :D

IMG_7764.thumb.JPG.d49f0a7111261b639ffc35ffffa13acd.JPGIMG_7768.thumb.JPG.cd8cda912abcd0076098586094a416ed.JPGIMG_7771.thumb.JPG.75ecf8473e280b1c6d47dea1dfcfdf02.JPG

Something i forgot to mention abit further up was the general spec of the conversion, it has had the sub frame removed and cleaned and painted black, both new lower arms and all new OEM bushes, it is the AJQ engine from an audi quattro but with a golf 5 speed box which im unsure of the gearbox code. It is on JOM coilovers with a set of front springs from a Raceland audi a3 coilover set as the JOM front springs were too soft for the extra weight up front. Corrado g60 from brake setup and lupo gti rear brake setup with custom brake lines to the back of the car. i have also fitted a Whiteline RARB since then aswell. 

So the next things on the list at this point were a decent wheel and tire setup.

i went for a set of Team Dynamic Pro Race 1.2's 15x7 in black 

IMG_7821.thumb.JPG.c306dea800da4b320b318f733e77f948.JPG

and then fitted them with some nice sticky AD08r's on my lunch break at work :D 

IMG_7823.thumb.JPG.ed1f81b609c78d50586acf8bce3a9fbc.JPG

Some photos with the wheels on 

IMG_7828.thumb.JPG.53c7012fba6ac3bab9cad4536e2267c4.JPGIMG_7835.thumb.JPG.672eeaf1da1ed8638891f5be562f432c.JPGIMG_7824.thumb.JPG.1d362fedb346c23debb938dc14b58e35.JPG

Also which i dont have photos of are a crappy ebay deep dish steering wheel that i fitted, must get round to getting a proper one. and also a 6inch Kode gearstick as the standard gearstick was not tall enough after fitting the bucket seats :D  

So all of that and the addition of a Sharan rear VW badge and a Speedhunters windscreen sticker that is how the car sits today. 

So last week was Trax at Silverstone and i had 2 track time sessions booked so was pretty excited to see how the little lupo preformed bearing in mind the alignment has been done by eye in my garage with my and my dad so it has no sort of track geometry setup or corner weighting or anything. 

The first session on the Sunday was at 10:20am and it had been raining all morning so the track was soaking wet and SUPER greasy :wtf:

so in the wet i suffered with a lot of under-steer and a fair bit of oversteer which i think was a combination of the rear anti roll bar being on the stiffest setting and the back end being so light compared to the front. so im not too sure what i could have done to help that other than soften the roll bar.

But in the dry it was a completely different story!  i had my second session at 12:20am and by that point it had just dried up. and i could fly round the track! there was not much that could stay with me through the tight corners and i was getting held up by a few cars as well :D  

Only managed to find one photo of the day 

22386211_10213774182051420_1524519636_n.jpg.518d723270e43e0ffac98b568ecb1ea2.jpg

So next things on the list are

1. BC Coilovers 

2. Polybushed front end

3. full fastroad/track geometry and corner weight.

4. Rollcage

5. need to get my exhaust system redone aswell to get the cat removed and also it is rubbing on one of the rear brake lines:unsure:

Thanks for looking sorry for the very long introduction ;)

IMG_7818.JPG

IMG_7833.JPG

IMG_7879.JPG

22343663_10213774182131422_2141085689_o.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sausage said:

Very damn nice. You Sir have excellent taste.

3 hours ago, Andrew1971 said:

Them wheel's would look good my lupo too. Good work keep it up she soon be sorted:wub:

Andrew

2 hours ago, Skajme said:

Spot on this

Thanks all :D

On 10/9/2017 at 4:31 AM, Sausage said:

I've been after some Pro race 1.2 for a while, but as i'm too much of a tight a$$ to buy them new I will have to wait. :lol:

Yeah i was also looking for them second hand, but i am too inpatient :rolleyes:

Just a small update, the weekend just passed i managed to paint my calipers yellow, going for a sort of black and yellow theme i guess as im wanting the cage to eventually be yellow :D only got a couple of photos, they arnt the best either. 

95A3DBD3-0887-4BD2-9462-55634005D699.thumb.jpeg.70ca06d57fe7edb0eb0db0e0c385fa0b.jpeg05F1A6B1-CF01-4FC2-B18C-AF1AD8CA1A53.thumb.jpeg.d446e3b541809dd4dee21a28dde3d4fd.jpegE661B051-8282-4FF9-A356-DD708243CFA3.thumb.jpeg.58f46774474da169eb0a67b83df99963.jpeg

also yesterday was just snooping on ebay as you do and came across a lupo gti front anti roll bar with with powerflex bushes at a very good price so snapped it up straight away! and it arrived today! 

heres a photo 25117FE2-A73F-4BDA-9B36-F35D3B3C72FA.thumb.jpeg.b4a0b26a1a3c19ce5950c749ed747366.jpeg

i am going to paint both this and my rear anti roll bar yellow at the weekend hopefully, to match my brakes and add about 30bhp :lol::lol:

i have a question about the stabalizer bushes though if someone could help, the ones that came with this are shot which i knew about and was advertised, but i wanted to polybush these aswell, but was unsure which size bush to buy, i was guessing for a gti bar it would be the 20mm bushes, and also this didnt come with the u brackets for the middle bushes, will my standard ones fit this bar? or shall i go and pick a couple up from TPS for a gti? Thanks :D 

3 hours ago, WRC said:

nice project!!

what is the total weight of the car? what pads and disks?

thank you,

im unsure of the weight, but i do want to know, and also i dont know what pads and disks are on the car as they were on there when i got it, i will be changing them soon though and was going to ask what a good combination would be?

right now...i use the bigger 280 stock disks  with ds3000 pads. castrol srf brake liquid. but thinking of upgrading to tarox f2000 disks with pagid rs 29 pads. and metal hoses all around. also after advan a48 i will try the new nankang ar1 semislicks.

i race my car a lot...you can find my short presentation.

before my race lupo i had the 1.8turbo S3 so i can just imagine what toy you got.

On 19/10/2017 at 3:11 PM, WRC said:

right now...i use the bigger 280 stock disks  with ds3000 pads. castrol srf brake liquid. but thinking of upgrading to tarox f2000 disks with pagid rs 29 pads. and metal hoses all around. also after advan a48 i will try the new nankang ar1 semislicks.

i race my car a lot...you can find my short presentation.

before my race lupo i had the 1.8turbo S3 so i can just imagine what toy you got.

i looked at the tarox f2000 disk aswell but they are expensive :(  i was maybe going to go with some mtec disks and ds2500 pads but im still not sure, i currently run the RBF600 brake fluid, which i find is good, and this month i will be ordering all front powerflex bushes, do you run them? 

yeah. powerflex black allaround.

ds2500 are too weak for me on track. i use them on rear...be  careful at disks. a lot of cheap ones receive cracks after sporty use...

i know they are expensive...but worth it if you want real performance...imagine the additional power and weight you have...

On 10/22/2017 at 3:36 PM, WRC said:

yeah. powerflex black allaround.

ds2500 are too weak for me on track. i use them on rear...be  careful at disks. a lot of cheap ones receive cracks after sporty use...

i know they are expensive...but worth it if you want real performance...imagine the additional power and weight you have...

Do you get much added noise and stuff from the black bushes? and do they have much impact on the arms and stuff like additional wear on them ? would you recommend them for road use? im going to be using the car on track but also driving it on the road to meets and stuff

14 hours ago, Sausage said:

I'd be welding up the front arms for added strength too...

Depends on usage - i'd thought about this but after two incidents with a kerb on events, it acts as a bit of a "fuse" and the end of the arms bend upwards, seem to do a good job of taking the impact so nothing else gets damaged. 

17 hours ago, Ryan_lupoo said:

Do you get much added noise and stuff from the black bushes? and do they have much impact on the arms and stuff like additional wear on them ? would you recommend them for road use? im going to be using the car on track but also driving it on the road to meets and stuff

i dont think that much noise. but frankly i put in that period also the exhaust and took out all interior...

after 2years..no additional wear. also i have -3 front wheels degree :)

but for track...they are a must..

14 minutes ago, WRC said:

i dont think that much noise. but frankly i put in that period also the exhaust and took out all interior...

after 2years..no additional wear. also i have -3 front wheels degree :)

but for track...they are a must..

how do you achieve -3 on the front? 

7 hours ago, cj1 said:

Depends on usage - i'd thought about this but after two incidents with a kerb on events, it acts as a bit of a "fuse" and the end of the arms bend upwards, seem to do a good job of taking the impact so nothing else gets damaged. 

but i have driven both this 1.8t lupo and my old 1.0 lupo fast and i can feel the added stress up front from the bigger engine, i know thats not the best comparison but i wouldnt be suprised if they were flexing quite abit, probably doesnt help that i am used all OEM bushes at the moment, i guess i will just do the polybushes first and see how it feels on the road.