AlexHardy91

1.7sdi to PD130

So it hasn't taken me very long to realise that the sdi is great on fuel but isnt what you'd called 'thrilling' to drive.

I'm thinking PD conversion once I've gotten my wagon back on the road. Ive seen that a few people have done the conversion but I'm struggling to find any info on mounts and driveshafts.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Here are the boring bits:

If yours is £30 tax then sell it and get a 1.4 TDI and tune that to within an inch of its life instead. 

If yours is £30 tax and you convert it your VED will go to £245, if that doesnt bother you or your VED is already that much then carry on.

Edited by Sausage

buy a tdi, pd that, don't declare it and pay £30.

You are a very naughty boy Rich. :) Although that temptation has crossed my mind for my red TDI with its knackered gearbox and vacant engine bay. But i will resist that slippery slope.

JDD 02R box, VNT turbo, bigger injectors, 228mm flywheel and clutch etc going in.

Edited by Sausage

this is why i got into this game.

i went backwards with the Tt and put a 130 in taking the 225 out whilst still insuring it as a 225.

Eh? What is the point of insuring it as a 225 if it has an undeclared diesel conversion in it. You are paying for no insurance at all apart from not getting pulled on ANPR.

isn't that the only reason we pay for insurance ?

trade anyways, doesn't matter what i do.

Haha it still matters if it's trade insurance as to what you are actually declaring. If your calling them up or using an app and registering the car on your policy as whats on the log book but it's got a different engine, that's still illegal, even with trade insurance. I've had my trade policy for a fair few years, I have to sell a min of 8 vehicles a year. All cars MUST be legally declared, there's no exceptions to a traders policy. If you crash, your in the same boat as everyone else if the details are wrong. 

• Like 2

it was a pd on the logbook by the end

On 10/7/2017 at 3:03 PM, Sausage said:

Here are the boring bits:

If yours is £30 tax then sell it and get a 1.4 TDI and tune that to within an inch of its life instead. 

If yours is £30 tax and you convert it your VED will go to £245, if that doesnt bother you or your VED is already that much then carry on.

On 10/7/2017 at 4:31 PM, Rich said:

buy a tdi, pd that, don't declare it and pay £30.

I'm not too bothered about declaring to the dvla. I was running an e36 compact with an m52b28 undeclared. Loads of fun but I kept braking it so had to get shot. Just want something to have a laugh down a good B road in again.

I'm sure it cant be that difficult to do the swap if I could do the BMW right?

3 hours ago, AlexHardy91 said:

I'm not too bothered about declaring to the dvla. I was running an e36 compact with an m52b28 undeclared. Loads of fun but I kept braking it so had to get shot. Just want something to have a laugh down a good B road in again.

I'm sure it cant be that difficult to do the swap if I could do the BMW right?

if it kept breaking down...

i was going to say that!

i have a cheap pd115 for sale, complete and no immob. :)

Had to write off a pd engine because I couldnt get a replacment turbo for love or money, the problem with PD engine is getting spares, stick with the normal TDI as suggested as you will find sourcing parts much easier

on the plus side the pd engines especially the 1.4 are probably the easiest engine to do a cam belt on as plenty of space and the fuel pump is driven directly by the cam so you dont have to worry about the fuel pump timing

Edited by Mobieus_uk
spelling

all pd engine regardless of cylinder have the same timing arrangement.

where's the struggle in finding a turbo ?

three cylinder one would be way harder to find second hand.