1.7sdi to PD130

AlexHardy91

So it hasn't taken me very long to realise that the sdi is great on fuel but isnt what you'd called 'thrilling' to drive.

I'm thinking PD conversion once I've gotten my wagon back on the road. Ive seen that a few people have done the conversion but I'm struggling to find any info on mounts and driveshafts.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Here are the boring bits:

If yours is £30 tax then sell it and get a 1.4 TDI and tune that to within an inch of its life instead. 

If yours is £30 tax and you convert it your VED will go to £245, if that doesnt bother you or your VED is already that much then carry on.

Edited by Sausage
  • Like 1

You are a very naughty boy Rich. :) Although that temptation has crossed my mind for my red TDI with its knackered gearbox and vacant engine bay. But i will resist that slippery slope.

JDD 02R box, VNT turbo, bigger injectors, 228mm flywheel and clutch etc going in.

Edited by Sausage

Haha it still matters if it's trade insurance as to what you are actually declaring. If your calling them up or using an app and registering the car on your policy as whats on the log book but it's got a different engine, that's still illegal, even with trade insurance. I've had my trade policy for a fair few years, I have to sell a min of 8 vehicles a year. All cars MUST be legally declared, there's no exceptions to a traders policy. If you crash, your in the same boat as everyone else if the details are wrong. 

• Like 2

On 10/7/2017 at 3:03 PM, Sausage said:

Here are the boring bits:

If yours is £30 tax then sell it and get a 1.4 TDI and tune that to within an inch of its life instead. 

If yours is £30 tax and you convert it your VED will go to £245, if that doesnt bother you or your VED is already that much then carry on.

On 10/7/2017 at 4:31 PM, Rich said:

buy a tdi, pd that, don't declare it and pay £30.

I'm not too bothered about declaring to the dvla. I was running an e36 compact with an m52b28 undeclared. Loads of fun but I kept braking it so had to get shot. Just want something to have a laugh down a good B road in again.

I'm sure it cant be that difficult to do the swap if I could do the BMW right?

3 hours ago, AlexHardy91 said:

I'm not too bothered about declaring to the dvla. I was running an e36 compact with an m52b28 undeclared. Loads of fun but I kept braking it so had to get shot. Just want something to have a laugh down a good B road in again.

I'm sure it cant be that difficult to do the swap if I could do the BMW right?

if it kept breaking down...

Had to write off a pd engine because I couldnt get a replacment turbo for love or money, the problem with PD engine is getting spares, stick with the normal TDI as suggested as you will find sourcing parts much easier

on the plus side the pd engines especially the 1.4 are probably the easiest engine to do a cam belt on as plenty of space and the fuel pump is driven directly by the cam so you dont have to worry about the fuel pump timing

Edited by Mobieus_uk
spelling

all pd engine regardless of cylinder have the same timing arrangement.

where's the struggle in finding a turbo ?

three cylinder one would be way harder to find second hand.

• 3 months later...

If you've updated the new/modded engine number on your reg doc, and it's a vw engine, no-one will ever know what the power or capacity was/is. Mr inspector/insurance assessor will simply look for the engine number if there's any doubt. If it matches the reg doc thats good enough. There is no way of checking engine capacity or power without "expert" forensics or research.

"I know someone" who totalled their 600hp mk2 with a supercharged R32 setup (4WD and all), originally registered as a mk2 golf synchro. Papers had the right (new) engine number, and it still said 1549cc or something. Ok, so the viscous coupling was now a haldex unit and the 1.6 was a bit pokier, but it was all still vdub. Had the labels to prove it. Claim went through no problem, even after the police and insurance assessor checked it thoroughly for about 20 minutes. :)

• 3 years later...

Yeah. @battlebus about a year or so ago. He's our resident SDI sleeper conversion expert to 1.7tdi 200hp. Mini pocket rocket in disguise. Outruns all brands gtis too. Not sure the gearbox will last though... rebuild needed every 25k I'd reckon. Total cost about £2.5k

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, JamieV said:

Whats that? 

Bkd or pd140 same unit. I have a bkd in a golf, great engine and loads of tuning potential but larger and heavier than the asz pd130. I have seen a 130 ina few Lupo/arosa and tbh I may end up doing the same. For now my Frankenstein sdi is still going and on same box 📦 😬(touch wood) I regularly top up the gearbox as I have a weep from the selector seal, fairly common issue and I reckon why most boxes fail. 

still not rolling roaded the pig but really fun when hot hatch boys are left head scratching 😂🤷‍♂️

@battlebus, I reckon you could put together a (complete with all screws and fittings) kit based on your "SDI", with all the bits needed and you'd sell quite a few. i'd buy one... Not sure how the ECU would be done, unless the original ECU (and Immo?) could be sent to an address for chipping then returned while the original owner is doing the physical work. It'd transform a lot of new driver, first car, experiences... Get an old SDI, buy and bolt on the kit and you end up with a sub £3k seriously hot hatch that otherwise looks like a sleeper. Only trouble is most new drivers probably wouldn't be able to handle that awesome power (and torque) to weight and keep crashing everywhere. :)