Wanted OSF Wing for Lupo GTi

Trumpeter

Thanks for your prompt reply Rich! Just joined the club and nice to know that it is alive and kicking!

Yes, the GTi's have a weak spot due to electrochemical corrosion between the aluminium wing and the steel sill, and the aluminium is the sacrificial anode and corrodes preferentially to the steel. Although an 'insulating compound' appears to exist between the two metals to minimise electrical contact, there are also bolts/screws (?) attaching the two parts and these prevent the barrier working effectively. I've had this car since new (Y-reg) so can't complain but it is an eyesore on a car which most people think is new!! As the wing is relatively easy to remove I'd rather replace than repair.

See pic below.

Thanks for your comment. 

IMG_0853 (3).jpg

Thanks for suggestion Andrew - I'm new to the forum and trying to find my way around! Just to follow up on my comments yesterday, I removed part of the inner mud shield and could see that the point where I'm getting corrosion is also a real rubbish collection point which would benefit from cleaning every few years by keen enthusiasts in order to forestall the problem.

There are plenty of wings on the websites but they're nearly all steel and therefore not suitable for GTi - there may be other differences that I'm not aware of. Our friends at Lookers will happily provide a new one at £430........................and an indeterminate supply date! They probably only tool up on demand.

Say hello to Brompton! 

Good morning peeps  :D

Sorry to crash your thread (can’t find the “embarrassed” emoji :lol:) , but would any of you happen to have a Massingberd Northallerton VW keyring and possibly business cards from around 2002 that you would consider parting with?

My GTi is their ex demo. from 2002 and I’m trying to find a good condition year correct keyring and two business cards with “Tim Lomas” and “James Fawcett” on them, but haven’t had much luck so far.... :(

Thank you for reading, sorry once again for crashing your thread @Trumpeter

All the best,

Martin :)

Mods: Please remove if inappropriate B) , only posting here as have had no luck with a “Wanted” ad. :(

Edited by Tourist
Missed out a note to the forum moderators and my stupid spelling mistakes....

Be my guest Tourist - I know when to stand aside for a perfectionist! You may have gatecrashed as I bought my GTi about the same time but that was at Mill Garage (now Lookers).

If you have no luck I can let you have a Porsche key ring which my son cunningly bought me and then proceeded to persuade me to get the car to go with it!

4 hours ago, Trumpeter said:

Be my guest Tourist - I know when to stand aside for a perfectionist! You may have gatecrashed as I bought my GTi about the same time but that was at Mill Garage (now Lookers).

If you have no luck I can let you have a Porsche key ring which my son cunningly bought me and then proceeded to persuade me to get the car to go with it!

@Trumpeter

Thankyou for your offerB), if I get stuck I will let you know.

All the best,

Martin:)