VED band and engine conversions

Sausage

Got a 2nd Lupo TDI with £30 tax now and looking for some confirmation of what happens to VED after an engine conversion before i go down that road with it.

I have seen conflicting info on this so far, but so far I think it stays at £30 as that is what is on the V5C as the emissions band regardless of what i put in it. (unless electric and i want an inspection to get it to £0 tax i guess)

Sooo, if i stick a 4 pot tdi or a 1.8T etc in it, will that **** up my £30 tax band? 

Edited by Sausage

1 hour ago, Sausage said:

Got a 2nd Lupo TDI with £30 tax now and looking for some confirmation of what happens to VED after an engine conversion before i go down that road with it.

I have seen conflicting info on this so far, but so far I think it stays at £30 as that is what is on the V5C as the emissions band regardless of what i put in it. (unless electric and i want an inspection to get it to £0 tax i guess)

Sooo, if i stick a 4 pot tdi or a 1.8T etc in it, will that **** up my £30 tax band? 

was it the modified red one from Rhydamman?

2 hours ago, weslangdon said:

was it the modified red one from Rhydamman?

Indeed it was. £215 quid with £200 set of wheels in the boot as well. I gave him £220 as I felt bad. :lol:

Gear selection dodgy, make that extremely dodgy (will look at turret) massive amounts of camber with knackered front wheel bearings (no surprise there), knackered front drive shaft (due to previous silly lows and hitting chassis), brake vacuum had a mind of it's own.

Just looking for clarification on the tax front before decisions get made.

Edited by Sausage

3 hours ago, Skezza said:

Yes. It will **** up your 30 pound tax 

Can you be more specific as to why you think so? I'll probably have to contact DVLA and ask them about this but I  have a strong feeling I'd get a different answer depending on who I spoke to. 

1 hour ago, Sausage said:

Can you be more specific as to why you think so? I'll probably have to contact DVLA and ask them about this but I  have a strong feeling I'd get a different answer depending on who I spoke to. 

Because of the reason the DVLA gave you.

Hence chavs tend to do 'undeclared mods innit bruv'

2 hours ago, Sausage said:

Indeed it was. £215 quid with £200 set of wheels in the boot as well. I gave him £220 as I felt bad. :lol:

Gear selection dodgy, make that extremely dodgy (will look at turret) massive amounts of camber with knackered front wheel bearings (no surprise there), knackered front drive shaft (due to previous silly lows and hitting chassis), brake vacuum had a mind of it's own.

Just looking for clarification on the tax front before decisions get made.

Only slow internet stopped me from bidding, I had been to look at it a couple of months back when he had it up for sale then and agree about the faults, which also made it impossible to test its performance but the artwork is very good and worth saving for that alone

Yes shame about the tax, for some reason that option never even crossed my tiny mind, but they have to really as they cant assess the emissions on a conversion so just default back to basing it on engine size. :( 

Yep I can see the appeal of not declaring a 1.9tdi now but a dim view would be taken of the VED fraud if found out so that is not for me.

The car is ripe for a conversion due to all the faults on it, but it would be a waste of the car to do that given the tax hike and the tdi USP of £30 tax. Will have a think, but probably just end up repairing and driving it as it is a better shell than my black one and will look out for a cheap petrol Lupo now for a silly conversion.

Sooo now a small part of my tiny mind wonders what happens if I (was stupid enough to) tell them I have changed the engine to another 1422 CC TDI engine and provide proof it came from an audi A2, a Seat Arosa, a Seat Ibiza, a Skoda Fabia or another Lupo TDI. 

Would that default to £150 tax as it is a change of engine? Just covering my bases here....

Edited by Sausage

just insure it as whatever you make it and pay £30 tax, plead ignorance if stupid enough to be caught out 

i have an ajm diesel conversion sitting there which i will part with cheaply. (£200)

3 hours ago, Sausage said:

Sooo now a small part of my tiny mind wonders what happens if I (was stupid enough to) tell them I have changed the engine to another 1422 CC TDI engine and provide proof it came from an audi A2, a Seat Arosa, a Seat Ibiza, a Skoda Fabia or another Lupo TDI. 

Would that default to £150 tax as it is a change of engine? Just covering my bases here....

If you are refitting another 14 TDI engine why would you even tell them?

3 hours ago, jon_273 said:

If you are refitting another 14 TDI engine why would you even tell them?

Me personally, i wouldn't bother if it's like for like, or close enough, but you are supposed to tell them about  any engine changes including engine numbers etc so my question was if you told them even though they are the same engine  would that bump the tax to £150? It should following their "logic".

Man my avatar is annoying, changing it now...

Edited by Sausage

They slip when the torque gets much beyond 250nm and heavy duty clutches are slim pickings and expensive for them, 4 pot flywheel and clutches gives bigger clutch and cheaper HD options.

I think the 138HP one on here a few years back used G60 flywheel and clutch and standard 02J box if I remember right so I can make do with just flywheel and clutch. 

http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?/topic/78710-seat-arosa-14-tdi-1749v-138-hp-212-lbft/

Edited by Sausage