Nice lupo on gumtree

LexG

Very very tidy looking Lupo from the photos, although the rear bumper looks to have a few nicks. It's also a good price if the mileage is genuine.

However, I would hesitate to buy it without knowing why it's only covered 750 miles in 2 years (1 of which was fully MOT'd) and why it's taken 11 months to get it re-MOT'd. It's obviously been sitting for quite a long time, for some reason and I might be tempted to ask why. When a car is left sitting for a long time, it doesn't do it any good. Good to see it passes it's recent MOT though.

Quite possibly there's a very honest explanation, but the seller makes no reference to it in the advert. So it's worth finding out before putting your hard earned cash to use.

2 hours ago, JoeyEunos said:

+ the lower sills are bent badly out of shape on both sides, presumably from incorrect jacking. Great way to start rust on these....

I think the problem is that the sill markers are for the scissor jacks only. If you use them correctly, they don't bend. However, too often, you take your car to a tyre place for example, and they trolley jack it, right on those points. When really, if you're going to trolley jack it, you need to use something like the wishbone or somewhere a bit more solid.

Yup, many Golfs I've looked at have been dealt with in a similar fashion and have the scars to prove it too <_<

FWIW do I tend to jack using the sills but place the cup directly under the very ends where things are double seamed and reinforced, much thicker/tougher there. Also a cut down hockey puck helps to avoid any metal on metal contact.

Leaving stuff sitting for long periods of time outside in the elements is usually what causes most of the damage. If they are left in a dry garage its usually fine. I've done the garage bit for years and never had any issues, you just need to religiously start and move the car each week. It's when a car's left sitting outside that problems start. Most noticeably the interior as you cant leave the windows open a little to let it breath. You get stuff growing and making nests lol.