Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
weslangdon

lost key

Recommended Posts

We've managed to lose the only key to one of our two Arosa TDI's, the RAC have been as much use as a chocolate soldier and my main dealer 3 miles away says it will take up to two weeks to replace the key. Are there any other options for a faster replacement...desperate as they car is parked where it shouldn't be and risks being towed 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

take the key, ecu, transponder box and steering column from one car and move the other one to a safe location.

reassemble and wait.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

no spare key and the car is locked & parked up in Swansea, key ordered and quoted 7-10 days delivery which I think is more shocking than the price of the key 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They come pre-cut from Germany if you ordered from VW, thats why

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i still see my idea as the way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, lupogtiboy said:

They come pre-cut from Germany if you ordered from VW, thats why

its horribly inefficiency from the Worlds biggest car company

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where the World HQ is? I bet a Mercedes key takes the same amount of time, or a Ford key, or any other manufacturer you can name. Mazda parts all take 2 days from Belgium, regardless of when you order it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

still no mention of using one car to at least move the other to a safer point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Smash window. Remove handbrake, tow car to safe location. get new key. Buy window from me for £5... Winner winner. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Car is in a safe place, car park owner aware of the issue and not foaming at the mouth so just a matter of coping with the delay. Problem caused by the remote control key breaking in half and the metal bit that goes in the lock being lost, the button bit has a code on it and I have spare keys that could be re-coded but without the correct pattern for door and steering lock little point

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

easier and cheaper to just change locks then.

drill the lock out for the ignition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So the purpose of this thread? There isn't much alternative to waiting for a key if you don't want to change locks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To ask if there are quicker options/alternative suppliers to the poor service from the main dealer and I suppose highlight the length of time involved for those who just have one key. I was shocked to be told 7-10 days and I think its a disgrace, the options suggested whilst possible are not for me as I don't want to break windows nor change the steering lock.:P 

Edited by weslangdon
more

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its a security part that is made in Germany. There is no faster way to get a VW key from a main dealer. I would quote the same amount of time had you ordered it from me. Its just how long it takes, it's not the dealer being awkward, once a key is ordered we have no control over the time frame. In most cases they come within 5 working days. Just be thankful you don't need a barrel for a Fox, they take 3-4 weeks to arrive.

It does annoy me when people sound off about 'poor dealer service' when its for something they have no control over. And lets not forget who lost the key in the first place.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lupogtiboy said:

Its a security part that is made in Germany. There is no faster way to get a VW key from a main dealer. I would quote the same amount of time had you ordered it from me. Its just how long it takes, it's not the dealer being awkward, once a key is ordered we have no control over the time frame. In most cases they come within 5 working days. Just be thankful you don't need a barrel for a Fox, they take 3-4 weeks to arrive.

It does annoy me when people sound off about 'poor dealer service' when its for something they have no control over. And lets not forget who lost the key in the first place.

 

Well said lupogtiboy... all replacement VAG keys regardless of brand are produced - to order - in their German security centre. Two weeks is perfectly acceptable.

Edited by NornIron

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a non vw key for my TDI  (the only key i have for it) and a receipt with the car for £400 for a locksmith. I really doubt he waited around for weeks for that key.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, lupogtiboy said:

Its a security part that is made in Germany. There is no faster way to get a VW key from a main dealer. I would quote the same amount of time had you ordered it from me. Its just how long it takes, it's not the dealer being awkward, once a key is ordered we have no control over the time frame. In most cases they come within 5 working days. Just be thankful you don't need a barrel for a Fox, they take 3-4 weeks to arrive.

It does annoy me when people sound off about 'poor dealer service' when its for something they have no control over. And lets not forget who lost the key in the first place.

 

It is poor dealer service, can you imagine VW tolerating such delays from their "just in time" suppliers, and if you read the thread I point out that the key broke in half. Two weeks is not acceptable, its arrogance, contempt for the customer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suppose they should stock one of every key and immo chip then they could be sent instantly...  

Edited by cj1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the dealers could fax the orders have the keys airmailed by return and coded in branch 2/3 days max

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The fax machine buzzes and off comes the piece of paper. "Customer X has lost their one and only key to vehicle 6XZZZ ..... , request priority key made". They quickly scurries off to the front of the parts production line and say "HALT! This key must be made now!!" , the sound of sirens alerts all of the employees as the production lines grind to a halt. They telephone the archive department who then fax back a schematic for the key in question, it's rushed through and stuck in a jiffy bag and immediately passed to a man waiting outside on a motorbike, who speeds to the airport to get it onto the next plane out of wolfsburg..

Unfortunately if you only have one key (As do I for one of my lupo's) it's generally accepted that you're running at risk, particularly with a part that's been in use for a good amount of years. Preventative maintenance would always suggest ensuring you have a spare.

I'm with @lupogtiboy , it's not the dealers fault that your key broke and they're constrained to what the factory can do. There's millions of parts being produced, it's never going to be a few days. You'll never satisfy everyone.  If they do sometimes arrive in less than 5 working days then I'd say that's not too bad, I mean you wait longer than that for a GTI ball joint! :lol::lol:

PS - Don't take it personally. I hope someone stumbles across this in a similar situation. and FWIW my only key is bent, so maybe I should order a spare too! :P

Edited by cj1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cj1 said:

@lupogtiboy

PS - Don't take it personally. I hope someone stumbles across this in a similar situation.

I'm in that situation, however I took the proactive decision when I bought a Lupo with only one key to order a spare! Now that one has been broken, I have no issue with waiting two weeks for the replacement...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cj1 said:

The fax machine buzzes and off comes the piece of paper. "Customer X has lost their one and only key to vehicle 6XZZZ ..... , request priority key made". They quickly scurries off to the front of the parts production line and say "HALT! This key must be made now!!" , the sound of sirens alerts all of the employees as the production lines grind to a halt. They telephone the archive department who then fax back a schematic for the key in question, it's rushed through and stuck in a jiffy bag and immediately passed to a man waiting outside on a motorbike, who speeds to the airport to get it onto the next plane out of wolfsburg..

Unfortunately if you only have one key (As do I for one of my lupo's) it's generally accepted that you're running at risk, particularly with a part that's been in use for a good amount of years. Preventative maintenance would always suggest ensuring you have a spare.

I'm with @lupogtiboy , it's not the dealers fault that your key broke and they're constrained to what the factory can do. There's millions of parts being produced, it's never going to be a few days. You'll never satisfy everyone.  If they do sometimes arrive in less than 5 working days then I'd say that's not too bad, I mean you wait longer than that for a GTI ball joint! :lol::lol:

PS - Don't take it personally. I hope someone stumbles across this in a similar situation. and FWIW my only key is bent, so maybe I should order a spare too! :P

interesting little homily that tells us more about you but not about how processes work or should work, keep it up^_^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How much is the key btw? Probably be a good idea for me to get another one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, NornIron said:

I'm in that situation, however I took the proactive decision when I bought a Lupo with only one key to order a spare! Now that one has been broken, I have no issue with waiting two weeks for the replacement...

:) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×