lost key

weslangdon

3 hours ago, weslangdon said:

interesting little homily that tells us more about you but not about how processes work or should work, keep it up^_^

It was the fax, an email would have seemed like a better idea, or their internal parts system! :)  Anyway, that passed a few minutes. 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, NornIron said:

Oh dear, being ripped off as well!

The VW group as a "people's car" are a joke, they serve the Piech family. As an organisation its hard not to see them as a self interested monopoly perhaps the EU should break the VAG up, they certainly don't act in the consumers nor the public interest as we have seen with the diesel emissions scandal

I wondered how long it would be until the 'dieselgate' saga reared its ugly head! Despite OTHER MANUFACTURERS CHEATING AS WELL, VW seem to be the only ones who are the anti-Christ. Jeez, get over it! How about Vauxhall Zafira's that spontaneously combust? Or Toyota's that spontaneously combust? Or Honda's airbags that go off in your face even though you've not hit anything? Its been blown out of all proportion because VW are a successful company. And for the record, it's not affected sales of new VW's either. Sorry about that.

You broke your ONE AND ONLY key, and it's VW's fault? It's your fault but you want to blame VW because the time-frame involved is inconvenient to you. Plan ahead, get a spare key. Or make friends with a good mobile locksmith, they're handy guys to know in situations like this.

'I've worn my clutch out by slipping it all day. Come on VW, that's your fault!' Sounds dumb doesn't it.

Dealers DO NOT set recommended parts prices for parts, VW Germany do. I find a lot of parts are overpriced, much like a lot of things in life are. But you do get what you pay for. A lot of the aftermarket stuff is pure rubbish, and that is why you pay less for it in the first place, because it is shite.

Dealers DO NOT have any control of how long a part takes to arrive. There are a lot of factors involved with this. Do you think a supplier of ball joints for example, only supplies them to VW? And those suppliers have to be supplied with the raw materials to make the part in the first place. VW keys are not made by VW but a few companies that have made them for VW, much like Chubb do for Ford (which are also shite!)

Is a dealer expected to keep key information for every VW in their records? They are stored SECURELY so that not every Tom, Dick or Harry has access to a minefield of information. And you can imagine the fun the media would have if it ever happened that VW key records got out in the open!

Get a grip man. The key broke. You needed a new one, and your local dealer has ordered one for you. Oh and you do know it will need coding to the car as well, as it won't start until you do? Another security device, but I guess that's an inconvenience too until someone wants to steal your car, then it will be a God-send.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, lupogtiboy said:

Is a dealer expected to keep key information for every VW in their records?

Of course they're expected to keep key information for every VW in their records, how else would they fax them to the factory! :P

I find dieselgate is just used when the debate is running out of points to present... 

I wonder if brexit is to blame for them being so expensive?

Edited by cj1

I meant the information about every key VW has ever made being kept in a dealership. Surely that's just asking for trouble! Keep it all in Germany at VW's HQ. I'm happy some oik doesn't have my car key number so he can make a copy and steal my car.

We don't send key numbers to the factory, we order keys through our ordering system (Parts 500 or Parts Dealer Frontend System) with the part number, chassis number of the car and an order number, and VW send the key, pre-cut, to us in our parts delivery, usually in around 3-5 days. Sometimes it takes longer. Current VW's don't seem to have key numbers anymore, we used to see a key number on the inside of the flap of the jiffy bag when we opened them, but that doesn't happen anymore. We can't even get key numbers anymore, as we used to be able to send for those too, but not anymore! Its all about security!

Throw this out there...

What if the same scenario happened to the previous owner and there is a completely different lock kit than the original?

VW wouldn't have know about the lock change so I presume a whole new lock kit is needed? Or is there a way to get the key shape manually?

All this makes me want to get a spare sorted for my GTI :blink:

1 hour ago, lupogtiboy said:

I meant the information about every key VW has ever made being kept in a dealership. Surely that's just asking for trouble! Keep it all in Germany at VW's HQ. I'm happy some oik doesn't have my car key number so he can make a copy and steal my car.

We don't send key numbers to the factory, we order keys through our ordering system (Parts 500 or Parts Dealer Frontend System) with the part number, chassis number of the car and an order number, and VW send the key, pre-cut, to us in our parts delivery, usually in around 3-5 days. Sometimes it takes longer. Current VW's don't seem to have key numbers anymore, we used to see a key number on the inside of the flap of the jiffy bag when we opened them, but that doesn't happen anymore. We can't even get key numbers anymore, as we used to be able to send for those too, but not anymore! Its all about security!

The local dealer wanted both the V5 and a copy of my licence presumably to match identity for both items, but given that these could be either faxed or e-mailed using pdf I still can't fathom the timescale. I'd guess there are thousands of similar requests everyday so why in a digital age does it progress at the speed of a horse and trap. Yes and it needs coding when it arrives back in the UK, I'm well aware of that, but what a shambles.

Any manufacturer will require to see your V5 & photo id, its the law to prove you are the owner of the car. It stops anyone from ordering a key to a car they fancy taking off the street. Its also law to see the registered owner of the car for the same reason. We also take payment for the key before ordering as it initially costs us to order the parts for you, and seeing as your key is no good to anyone else, why should we foot the bill?

We don't fax or email the details to VW, we order it through our parts ordering system.

If your vehicle has had a lock change, that does make life difficult. We wouldn't know its had it done, but now the newer systems are in place, the new key number is now recorded and updated on VW's records in Germany, so any future orders should result in a key that fits. Doesn't always happen though! But if its had a lock change in the past that does mess stuff up!

I don't understand your frustration at how its done. Its a process thats been in place the entire time I have worked for VW (14 years now) and nobody has ever moaned about it to me, its just the way it works. Having never ordered a key for a car I personally own, or for any other manufacturer (i've owned a VW of one kind or another since a 1996 Polo 6N), but I'd imagine the timescale will be the same. I can check for Honda and Mazda if you want me too (as the group I work for own garages for both brands), just in case VW are still in the stone age, but I'm pretty sure it will be the same as VW.

It's had no lock change. Why do you insist on defending the indefensible, "we've always done it this way so it must be right" is the wrong attitude, if it were right we'd still be driving around in Beetles and Ford Anglias. Things are supposed to improve over time not stagnate due to indifference

I don’t get what the issue is, it’s a TRP, it’s not gonna be a next day thing. You think that’s bad then don’t get a merc. Please. Or any other manufacturer for that matter. The key is predominately the gateway to the car and to its mobility, no way are they gonna start firing them out left, right and center as soon as some numpty waves a flag saying ‘oooh I’ve broken/lost my only key, can I have another??’ They’d much rather take the hit of some jumped up git saying customer service is abismal, rather than several hundred court cases were they’ve dished out keys willy nilly to some pikey and some poor goon has had his car swiped.

You said it’s at risk of being towed and were given a perfectly good option by rich in order to get you out of trouble and then you say it’s in a safe place and disregard the suggestion, you are now jumping down the throat of several other members, none of which really have any obligation to give you any information whatsoever, so leave these people to it and pipe down until you can sort out your own mess. It’s obvious you’re not gonna get the outcome you want from this thread.

Hope you get it sorted promptly...

1 hour ago, Pete said:

I don’t get what the issue is, it’s a TRP, it’s not gonna be a next day thing. You think that’s bad then don’t get a merc. Please. Or any other manufacturer for that matter. The key is predominately the gateway to the car and to its mobility, no way are they gonna start firing them out left, right and center as soon as some numpty waves a flag saying ‘oooh I’ve broken/lost my only key, can I have another??’ They’d much rather take the hit of some jumped up git saying customer service is abismal, rather than several hundred court cases were they’ve dished out keys willy nilly to some pikey and some poor goon has had his car swiped.

You said it’s at risk of being towed and were given a perfectly good option by rich in order to get you out of trouble and then you say it’s in a safe place and disregard the suggestion, you are now jumping down the throat of several other members, none of which really have any obligation to give you any information whatsoever, so leave these people to it and pipe down until you can sort out your own mess. It’s obvious you’re not gonna get the outcome you want from this thread.

Hope you get it sorted promptly...

I think I am responding appropriately to other people's comments, its an issue that I've not seen raised before and it needs airing as for jumping down other peoples throats, if I have I apologise

10 hours ago, Sausage said:

I'm assuming I could get a cheap dumb copy key cut for my door and ignition so I could at least get in it and move it about much easier if I lost or broke my only key? 

From memory there's a place in Llanelli market, they might be able to get you a key with a chip too but can't code them

17 hours ago, lupogtiboy said:

I think you missed the sarcasm :( I know the process :) 

Adapting Lupo keys is a piece of piss anyway.... it really isn't that hard with a VAG-COM. Audi are a bit harder.... and they're easy as well. All you need is your super hard to get SKC code..... :rolleyes: and a blank transponder which are pennies online.

@lupogtiboy is spot on about the dieselgate nonsense as well. VW have taken an absolute beasting in the British press (nothing to do with them being German.... at all), when other manufacturers have also been at it and have had scandals of their own. GM were doing it as early as 1995 and nobody cared. Ford made cars that were designed to rust..... up until as late as 2008 and nobody cared.

How the heck Toyota have survived a media pasting considering the amount of vehicles they've had to recall in recent times because they either a. Accelerate on their own. b. Suffer brake problems. c. Suffer both.... at the same time. Yay. Win.

It's a shame that dieselgate happened, but heads rolled, a few people were sacked, and VW still make great cars (I'm loving the new Arteon).

4 hours ago, Skezza said:

Adapting Lupo keys is a piece of piss anyway.... it really isn't that hard with a VAG-COM. Audi are a bit harder.... and they're easy as well. All you need is your super hard to get SKC code..... :rolleyes: and a blank transponder which are pennies online.

@lupogtiboy is spot on about the dieselgate nonsense as well. VW have taken an absolute beasting in the British press (nothing to do with them being German.... at all), when other manufacturers have also been at it and have had scandals of their own. GM were doing it as early as 1995 and nobody cared. Ford made cars that were designed to rust..... up until as late as 2008 and nobody cared.

How the heck Toyota have survived a media pasting considering the amount of vehicles they've had to recall in recent times because they either a. Accelerate on their own. b. Suffer brake problems. c. Suffer both.... at the same time. Yay. Win.

It's a shame that dieselgate happened, but heads rolled, a few people were sacked, and VW still make great cars (I'm loving the new Arteon).

the problem for many that have grown up with VW is that we expect better of them, I have no regard for Japanese cars and would never buy one, Vauxhalls are crap and yes Fords are rust buckets