Headlight polish. Before and after :)

FlipFlops

I decided to give the shed's headlights a machine polish at the weekend. For the time it takes, about 15 mins per light the results are pretty cool. They were pretty bad. I used an Autoglym kit i borrowed from a mate in return for a pint.

BEFORE :( 

21191300_1920774054854442_335748809_o.jpg?oh=869ca0e6a8254cc7ae41094de13efbec&oe=59A79C2E

AFTER :)

21198536_1920774108187770_1074857545_o.jpg?oh=179055a688602c0d9ab7ef1d994cd03b&oe=59A7C504

43 minutes ago, Reedo said:

were yours stone chipped? im thinking about doing this to mine but i have stone chips and am unsure how well this will work

Mine were just badly faded but other than that there's no damage. I doubt stone chips would make any difference, the pads fit to the end of a drill and cover a about 3 inches. I'm genuinely shocked at how clear they have come up. The car is a complete shed, these are now the cleanest part of it lol.

oh right i see mine have alot of stone chips on. i was wondering weather sanding them down. clear coating them, then doing this process would help with those? thoughts?

anyone elses opinions are greatful on this idea please.

This kit only takes off a really really thin layer off the surface, i think to take it back deep past a chip you would need a bigger kit, or something a bit more bite on the pads. This removes the damage but bought the chips.

If you've got crap on the surface it's worth a go though, it might help with very small chips?

would you recommend possibly starting with something like a 400/600 grit? would the clear coat idea not work?

ive seen people do it on plastic headlights didnt know if they would work on gti headlights

I literally have no idea lol. I've never done anything like this before. My mate saw my lights and said to borrow the kit in return for a pint. I just followed the instructions and 15 mins later they were almost new again. I guess the rougher the paper the more it will take off?

I know you have to be careful not to put too much pressure/heat into the light as this will damage it permanently so would be careful on using a really harsh paper.