SDI Aux Belt, Feedback Required.

JoeyEunos

Looks like I'm about to have to replace my PAS pump tomorrow morning as it sounds as though the bearings are shot, either that or alternator/tensioner.

I've been out and assesed the job tonight,  there's about 5mm clearance between the chasis and the tensioner bolt, FML....

Has anyone done this before? Any tips or advice would be welcome. It looks as though I may end up having to undo the engine mount just to get the belt off, please tell me I'm wrong/there's another way <_<

Bugger about you PAS pump going. Engine mount most likely have to come out because it has to come to do a cam belt change which i have 

to do soon :(  I will be following this http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?/topic/103569-how-to-sdi-cambelt-change/

Andrew

PS

I have never done this on my SDI so this will be a first for me:D

Edited by Andrew1971

Job jobbed and I can confirm that the aux belt tensioner can be operated and the belt removed without any interfering with engine mounts. Tight but not that bad with two spanners joined together for leverage. I can also confirm that replacing the PAS pump is an absolute lovely person of a job on the SDI and involed removal of bumper and arch liners for access.

For any future CL members reading this, if your pump goes seriously consider paying someone else to replace it.

9 hours ago, Rich said:

roadside job.

not hard at all!

Probably right, I've routinely changed aux belts on various vehicles in the past without any issues but must admit when I looked at the amount of space available my heart sank -_-

Looking at the alternator, there isn't room to get it out through the arch or lift it out from the top, in fact it looks like the PAS pump may well have to come off to drop it out underneath... I'm dreading the time when that starts going too :rolleyes:

TBF I'm sure these jobs are much easier on 1.0/1.4 models but the 1.7D is a big old engine to fit in such a small bay, jobs like these on the loop make the equivalent tasks on 'normal sized' VAG stuff seem like a walk in the park. PAS pump required bumper and arches off just to get at it :ph34r: Mid way through I started thinking about asking Mrs Eunos if she fancied selling up/changing cars, a nice Golf instead maybe? (Not kidding).

@Rich, speaking of 'not hard at all' jobs, have you completed the SDI timing belt change yet?

Edited by JoeyEunos

nope but i did fix the sunroof and windows on it last week and i am currently in the thought process about doing it either this weekend or the last one in September.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rich said:

nope but i did fix the sunroof and windows on it last week and i am currently in the thought process about doing it either this weekend or the last one in September.

Good crack.

If you feel like you'd like some support/spanner passing etc give me a nudge old chap...It's a task I'd quite like to observe so as to avoid having to pay the big boys when the time comes for mine ;)

3 hours ago, Rich said:

i shall let you know.

thought yours was done?

It is fella, only a 40k interval on them though and I'd like to avoid farming this task out next time round if at all possible given the cars value (Or lack thereof) ^_^