MFD install questions

Hi all,

I just bought a lupo GTi yesterday in Raven blue! Love the car!

As my first upgrade on the car, I wanted to do the MFD install. I've been trying to read up about it as much as I can but please bear with me if I'm asking some questions with obvious answers. (vwnavi has been down for maintenance for a few days so I can't get much info there)

So, here come some questions...if anyone can help I'd really appreciate it.

1) is there a specific model required, do D and G models work? I'm looking at buy one with the following model number (3B0035191d) will that work?

2) I don't plan on using the sat nav at all. Do I still need the plug and play loom? Where can I get one nowadays? Any wiring diagrams I can use to splice the correct wires together if I can't find this plug and play kit?

3) what I want to do is get some sort of video in working on the unit. I've read about a dietz1212 adapter? Is this what I need and are there any alternatives (it's quite old I know).

4) will I be able to get a 3.5mm aux in or will I need the plug and play adapter?

5) does it slot straight in? As far as I know it does but it's a bit tight for space behind the dash. Can somebody confirm this?

6) I've also read about 'CAN-BUS' issues where the unit switches off after 59mins. This doesn't apply to the MFD I hope? 

Thanks and I hope to post a few pics of my car on the weekend. This would be a super project for me if somebody could help out!

Sorry can't help you, but there are quite a few owners who have fitted MFDs. I'm sure someone will be along soon.

...enjoy your GTI, I've had mine 10+ years now and it still puts a smile in my face.

Are you after an oem vw unit? Or an aftermarket double din jobby, or an iPad install? You won’t have to worry about can bus as the lupo doesn’t support it.

27 minutes ago, Pete said:

Are you after an oem vw unit? Or an aftermarket double din jobby, or an iPad install? You won’t have to worry about can bus as the lupo doesn’t support it.

Yeah I have my eye on the original VW MFD units that come in MK4 golfs I believe? I've seen a few MFD units fitted to lupos on here but they're quite old posts so photobucket images don't work and vwnavi links are dead...

6 hours ago, Silver! said:

Sorry can't help you, but there are quite a few owners who have fitted MFDs. I'm sure someone will be along soon.

...enjoy your GTI, I've had mine 10+ years now and it still puts a smile in my face.

Thanks! I've always loved these motors so the smile is definitely painted on my face right now!