Lupo engine swap

Atops

a. Anything is possible.

b. If you're on about insurance fraud, i am currently doing a wiring loom for someone who is building one of these for the purpose of remarketing into that field.

Its a bit like the story where a traveller asks the farmer how to get to a particular place and the farmer says "Well I wouldn't start from here if I were you"

Best way is to buy a GTI, 2nd best is buy a Sport 100bhp model and fit a GTI engine or perhaps easier just a GTI crankshaft and pistons

I was going to do this conversion.

In the end bought a GTI.

The work involved and cost of getting the bits together wasn't practical.

You'll probably increase insurance cost, still not have as many features of a GTI and still have a s****y gearbox.

Although if you can source all the parts cheap and have spare time, why not.

At the moment i can't afford to buy a 1.6l gti but i can afford to swap my 1.0l to a 1.6l as i've found decent engines for a decent price.

May sound a stupid question but can you run a 1.0l gearbox on a 1.6l engine?

12 hours ago, Atops said:

At the moment i can't afford to buy a 1.6l gti but i can afford to swap my 1.0l to a 1.6l as i've found decent engines for a decent price.

May sound a stupid question but can you run a 1.0l gearbox on a 1.6l engine?

Yes you can. All of the 085 gearboxes are compatible across the engines (That originally use an 085). There's a surprising difference between them, and an apparent misconception that the 1.4 16v is the way to go for acceleration :)

There's a useful guide to gear ratios available on a vw workshop manual website. As Rich pointed out it's maybe not something you'd want to live with on a daily basis, but if the traffic light drag race is your thing, then the 1.0 boxes are the way to go. 

Edited by cj1

1 hour ago, The Penguin said:

brakes, front and rear

Certainly wouldn't recommend sticking with the brakes you have on now, although drums are adequate enough on the back.

But in terms of your question, this isn't essential for the engine swap, more a common sense thing. 

Wiring, engine, engine mounts... 

I'm doing a loom for an avy into a one litre atm for someone and i know they're not doing the brakes.

normally i like to lecture on such things but they're in their thirties so they're old enough to be responsible.