GTI body changes

Old Timer

Hi All,

I'm due to get a long wished for Lupo GTI in the next week (paperwork going through). I want to say what a great and unique source of information ClubLupo has been, and want to put a big thank you out there for what I have been able to learn from many amazing posts. It may have been posted before (and I think the info is mainly here spread across different topics) but it would be great to try and pin down in one place what is different (body parts wise) between the GTI and the other amazing Lupo's. My reasoning is that this information helps potential buyers avoid fakes or non spec repairs by using a simple magnet as well as eyes and brain power.

Let me have a stab, and I'm sure I will be corrected...

I understand a thinner stronger steel was used in the shell? I guess that shows in the chassis number?

I believe the bonnet and door panels are aluminium.

I know front and side glass is 3mm rather than 5mm and a different make (got the brilliant post on this subject, thank you!)

I know the front wings are different, but I'm not sure whether it is thinner steel or aluminium as the material?

Have I missed anything key? Thank you for reading!

1 hour ago, Old Timer said:

I understand a thinner stronger steel was used in the shell? I guess that shows in the chassis number? GTi chassis numers are 6ES whilst normal Lupos are 6X. Never heard anything about a thinner and stronger steel being used.

I believe the bonnet and door panels are aluminium. YES

I know the front wings are different, but I'm not sure whether it is thinner steel or aluminium as the material? They are indeed made from aluminium.

Answers in red to the best of my knowledge :)

• Like 1

1. I heard that too about the thinner steel. 

2.bonnet and doors are aluminium. So are the front wings

3. Glass is thinner. That's the reason it has the guide on the front. If it is not there it does not close as easily.

4. Answered in point 2.

5. Battery in the boot, completely different shell, no option for pop out windows (have seen conversions But requires drilling), earlier cars had 5 speed, later 6 speed gearbox. Not all where built in Wolfsburg (later ones built in Belgium, you can tell via the chassis number), spoiler unique to gti, laser blue rarest colour

• Like 1