Jump to content
Steve C

Opinions/Info required on value

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, twisty b-road said:

It'll come round to us all eventually, but good luck with your better long term option

Aluminium corrosion should concern you if you think the GTI is a sound proposition, an issue in VAG vehicles entirely constructed of ally already, this is a very long thread concerning the A2

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/archive/index.php/t-20901.html

Electrolytic corrosion where the aluminium is in contact with steel [a huge issue with Land Rover] seems more likely with the GTI

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3572122

but good luck with it as a long term bet, you can always wrap it in cotton wool in a dry garage and pray for the best

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

you could always hope that the crap a tdi coughs out will keep everything sound with perpetual lubricating fumes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Penguin said:

but good luck with it as a long term bet, you can always wrap it in cotton wool in a dry garage and pray for the best

I draw the line at cotton wool, but ours has lived in a carpeted, heated garage whilst we've owned it and never taken out when it's raining or even a chance of it...in fact the only time it gets wet is when I wash it and even then it gets dried off with a miraclecloth!

Here's a load of hi-res pics I took this morning for someone who's mailed me about it, judge for yourselves...

DSC_0233.thumb.JPG.253eaecb843059876c276b483e4b10ef.JPG DSC_0236.thumb.JPG.290afa48ca057010f901b7e062ed1ba6.JPG

DSC_0237.thumb.JPG.18a7caa3e785fd924675365ce20acc8c.JPG

DSC_0241.thumb.JPG.7fb9cf7a16b6fc68396ba8358c361e0a.JPG

DSC_0243.thumb.JPG.0f008e0364db7004f4d5522b39b2be60.JPG

DSC_0245.thumb.JPG.2c9b229f03d14ebf18ff80a88c3a7463.JPG

DSC_0246.thumb.JPG.9becfa4f8672bc41bab3f157dfc9b882.JPG

DSC_0250.thumb.JPG.3eb1d686ddc03c54ed14b536e1bfb261.JPG

DSC_0251.thumb.JPG.2f830854dda924377995f884b53703de.JPG

DSC_0252.thumb.JPG.a400d024ebd767cfc46d3ecc647b4144.JPG

DSC_0254.thumb.JPG.8342abd9dde6db2fa08ded8b7696a913.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

back legs of the seats look clean, always a sign of premium product.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Rich said:

back legs of the seats look clean, always a sign of premium product.

Lol...how anal are you lot! I doubt they've ever been dusted, never mind cleaned...out of sight, out of mind and all that. The bodywork normally has a mirror finish, but it's not had the coats of carnauba wax this year as we're a tad busy renovating the house and garden (untouched for 4 years). 

I missed out on a set of standard wheels the other night on ebay, they went for less than £80 (worn tyres, no centrecaps and needed a refurb) but I was busy...after your comments, I'm going to keep looking for a set and put it back to completely standard again, if it stays with us...I like to have my classic bikes as they came out of the factory (even down to buying original bolts at extortionate prices), so there's no excuse to not get the Lupo back to its former glory!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife commented that you didn't notice her VW "wolf" seatbelt cuddly toy (in the rear)...one optional extra I would of done without but she saw it in Smith Knight Fay and had to have it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i spotted it.

thought i would let you have that one.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/30/2017 at 9:41 AM, Rich said:

my other half has a dinged and scratched car and she is terrible.

definite correlation.

I have to play spot the new scratch every day - the real cost of free on street parking!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i have given up looking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The wipers are wrong but you probably got them from VW so it's their fault. Next time ask for a passenger side wiper from a MK4 Golf.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ahhh my GTI is crap so I'm going to swap it for a TDi as I want to fit a tow bar and pull a mobile home over the highlands.

 

:swerve:

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Silver! said:

Ahhh my GTI is crap so I'm going to swap it for a TDi as I want to fit a tow bar and pull a mobile home over the highlands.

 

:swerve:

 

 

 

Use the dune....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Rich No. That would be too easy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Rich said:

back legs of the seats look clean, always a sign of premium product.

Dashboard and steering column are dusty though. ;)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, jon_273 said:

The wipers are wrong but you probably got them from VW so it's their fault. Next time ask for a passenger side wiper from a MK4 Golf.

What exactly is wrong with the wipers?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, cj1 said:

Dashboard and steering column are dusty though. ;)

I'll get on it straight away lol...down to lack of use and lazy owners!

...and Silver!...you don't need to swap your GTI for a TDI, as your "Currently Driving" says you already have a silver one along with your GTI;):P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Silver! said:

Ahhh my GTI is crap so I'm going to swap it for a TDi as I want to fit a tow bar and pull a mobile home over the highlands.

 

:swerve:

A poor attempt at wit; but there are only 3 vehicles worthy of the GTI strap line, the Mk 1 & 2 Golf's and the Peugeot 205 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Silver! said:

Ahhh my GTI is crap so I'm going to swap it for a TDi as I want to fit a tow bar and pull a mobile home over the highlands.

 

:swerve:

Buy it fast before people realize they will be valuable classics and they start going up in value :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i think you'll find that on this forum, we are all lovers of the Lupo and Arosa in all forms.

To be honest if I were wanting to pull anything more than a matchbox, I would be thinking of cars bigger and better at the job than any of the Lupo based variants: even the Polo wouldn't do it for me.

Horses for courses though and out of he box, the GTI is the most fun to drive and the TDI is likely the best to live with on a daily basis.

But when it comes down to it, the little things which make the GTI that little bit different; which can also be a pain in the arse, are what we love about it. 

I have a Polo Dune 1.4 TDI as a daily. It's definitely not fast but it performs really well on the Scottish roads and sticks flat around the bends, due to the beefed up suspension on the Dune and nothing to do with the engine, but as a comparison for the GTI; it lacks the spirit and fun.

i think the Lupo GTI wears the badge well and remember; when it was released it was the quickest car to wear the GTI badge.

I drove my GTI to Spain a couple of years ago across the Pyrenees and back through Andorra in the company of and Mercedes SL500 and an Audi TT RS amongs others and they were both impressed with the performance of the GTI in the mountains.

I've done road trips with @jon_273in the UK, both pre and post his TDI remap and we had great fun. The cars both got us where we were going in as much fun I'm sure, but Jon still went and bought a GTI or two.

 

So back to the start; I think you'll find that on this forum, we are all lovers of the Lupo and Arosa in all forms.

...apart from maybe @The Penguinwho appears to have a downer on the GTI; but that's OK. 

Aand once again for the record; we all know silver is the best colour :wub:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

silver is not the best colour.....

tdi daily gives you a three cylinder headache, sdi is a far better option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Silver! said:

i think you'll find that on this forum, we are all lovers of the Lupo and Arosa in all forms.

To be honest if I were wanting to pull anything more than a matchbox, I would be thinking of cars bigger and better at the job than any of the Lupo based variants: even the Polo wouldn't do it for me.

Horses for courses though and out of he box, the GTI is the most fun to drive and the TDI is likely the best to live with on a daily basis.

But when it comes down to it, the little things which make the GTI that little bit different; which can also be a pain in the arse, are what we love about it. 

I have a Polo Dune 1.4 TDI as a daily. It's definitely not fast but it performs really well on the Scottish roads and sticks flat around the bends, due to the beefed up suspension on the Dune and nothing to do with the engine, but as a comparison for the GTI; it lacks the spirit and fun.

i think the Lupo GTI wears the badge well and remember; when it was released it was the quickest car to wear the GTI badge.

I drove my GTI to Spain a couple of years ago across the Pyrenees and back through Andorra in the company of and Mercedes SL500 and an Audi TT RS amongs others and they were both impressed with the performance of the GTI in the mountains.

I've done road trips with @jon_273in the UK, both pre and post his TDI remap and we had great fun. The cars both got us where we were going in as much fun I'm sure, but Jon still went and bought a GTI or two.

 

So back to the start; I think you'll find that on this forum, we are all lovers of the Lupo and Arosa in all forms.

...apart from maybe @The Penguinwho appears to have a downer on the GTI; but that's OK. 

Aand once again for the record; we all know silver is the best colour :wub:

 

I haven't got a downer as you call it on GTI badged Lupo's, there's nothing much wrong with any Arosa or Lupo model per se. Each one though is a compromise

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Steve C said:

My wife commented that you didn't notice her VW "wolf" seatbelt cuddly toy (in the rear)...one optional extra I would of done without but she saw it in Smith Knight Fay and had to have it!

And I thought I was the only one with these in their car!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Penguin said:

I haven't got a downer as you call it on GTI badged Lupo's, there's nothing much wrong with any Arosa or Lupo model per se. Each one though is a compromise

compromise on what?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.