Opinions/Info required on value

Steve C

1 hour ago, Rich said:

silver is not the best colour.....

Is so. Funny how VW decided to show it off in silver if it doesn't look best in that colour.

...and do not say Raven or I will suspend you.

of course it is raven, i can say this because it is opinion and i have a silver one.

size is a compromise, so is towing ability, economy and torque.

2 hours ago, Silver! said:

Aand once again for the record; we all know silver is the best colour :wub:

It isn't.

1 hour ago, Rich said:

tdi daily gives you a three cylinder headache, sdi is a far better option.

^ this. And they will last forever.

Silver was just the colour of the day when the GTI was released - just like all police vehicles were silver for a time and now they are all being replaced with white again!

The details are lost in the black GTI when photographed but in person it looks the part. It was however a raven that I fell in love with back when I was about 13, and I kept my promise to myself that a GTI would be my first car B)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Silver! said:

Ahhh my GTI is crap so I'm going to swap it for a TDi as I want to fit a tow bar and pull a mobile home over the highlands.

:swerve:

Does it have enough power for that?

12 hours ago, Tourist said:

What exactly is wrong with the wipers?

I was reinforcing the point about being anal. The gap between the wipers is too big: the drivers side should be a 21" and the passenger side 19" and also not so close to the A pillar. Martin knows the correct part numbers (VW have the wrong one in their system for the passenger side for some reason).

8 hours ago, Rich said:

tdi daily gives you a three cylinder headache, sdi is a far better option.

An SDI with a straight through exhaust doesn't sound like have a V6 though.

• Like 1

I always get mk4 Golf wiper blades whenever I need them,

o/s 1J2 955 426 B

n/s 1J2 955 425 B

if you can't afford a range of cars then clearly you shouldn't be driving.

cars are so cheap, especially Lupos, there is no excuse for not having a couple at least.

I have a Tt daily, a mk2 project, a lupo gti for sunny days and a couple of others just in case i want or need them.

I looked at a small caravan (Eriba Puck) for towing behind the Dune. In the end the practicalities and pointless additional cost;

i.e. cost of tow bar, electrics, additional fuel, travelling time, wear and tear on car, storage etc etc

meant I just bought a bigger tent.

Those small/light caravans are so small we would have needed an awning for the dog, so one might as well put up a tent anyhow.

3735676384_8b72682e2d_o.jpg

1 hour ago, Rich said:

if you can't afford a range of cars then clearly you shouldn't be driving.

cars are so cheap, especially Lupos, there is no excuse for not having a couple at least.

I have a Tt daily, a mk2 project, a lupo gti for sunny days and a couple of others just in case i want or need them.

Sadly we live in a land of foodbanks and gross inequality between rich and poor, whilst cars can be cheap to buy, taxing, insuring, fuelling and maintaining them costs money. Another good reason for having a towbar on a GTI would be to help the front rear weight balance...:rolleyes: 

2 minutes ago, Silver! said:

I looked at a small caravan (Eriba Puck) for towing behind the Dune. In the end the practicalities and pointless additional cost;

i.e. cost of tow bar, electrics, additional fuel, travelling time, wear and tear on car, storage etc etc

Those small/light caravans are so small we would have needed an awning for the dog, so one might as well put up a tent anyhow.

The t@b caravan is cool almost a cult

I've never had need to tow a caravan (or anything for that matter) so I didn't buy my GTI with that in mind. Saying that, the Up has no towing ability either, so I guess that wasn't a priority when I bought that either.

I'd imagine the GTI is capable of towing if you really wanted to, its the exhaust that prevents a towbar, probably on a petrol sport as well I'd imagine. I guess you could re-route it though, but at what cost?

Oh and silver IS the best GTI colour, that's why there are more of them!

Nice to see a topic that gets so many involved though. 

However I'd disagree with @Rich, being able to afford more than one car doesn't mean you need to have more than one. A lot of people can afford multiple of everything in their lives but only choose to have one. 

Therefore, the TDI is the best compromise, (I promise it's just coincidence I may have one up for sale soon :P ) 

Oh, and to keep it on the towing topic... It has a detachable towbar too :D

Edited by cj1
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Silver! said:

3735676384_8b72682e2d_o.jpg

My youngest son plans on putting a roof box on his Arosa TDI,:unsure: love the colour co-ordination. Eriba caravans are well made but very heavy compared to the t@b efforts both German though