Opinions/Info required on value

Steve C

1 hour ago, twisty b-road said:

It'll come round to us all eventually, but good luck with your better long term option

Aluminium corrosion should concern you if you think the GTI is a sound proposition, an issue in VAG vehicles entirely constructed of ally already, this is a very long thread concerning the A2

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/archive/index.php/t-20901.html

Electrolytic corrosion where the aluminium is in contact with steel [a huge issue with Land Rover] seems more likely with the GTI

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3572122

but good luck with it as a long term bet, you can always wrap it in cotton wool in a dry garage and pray for the best

2 hours ago, The Penguin said:

but good luck with it as a long term bet, you can always wrap it in cotton wool in a dry garage and pray for the best

I draw the line at cotton wool, but ours has lived in a carpeted, heated garage whilst we've owned it and never taken out when it's raining or even a chance of it...in fact the only time it gets wet is when I wash it and even then it gets dried off with a miraclecloth!

Here's a load of hi-res pics I took this morning for someone who's mailed me about it, judge for yourselves...

DSC_0233.thumb.JPG.253eaecb843059876c276b483e4b10ef.JPG DSC_0236.thumb.JPG.290afa48ca057010f901b7e062ed1ba6.JPG

DSC_0237.thumb.JPG.18a7caa3e785fd924675365ce20acc8c.JPG

DSC_0241.thumb.JPG.7fb9cf7a16b6fc68396ba8358c361e0a.JPG

DSC_0243.thumb.JPG.0f008e0364db7004f4d5522b39b2be60.JPG

DSC_0245.thumb.JPG.2c9b229f03d14ebf18ff80a88c3a7463.JPG

DSC_0246.thumb.JPG.9becfa4f8672bc41bab3f157dfc9b882.JPG

DSC_0250.thumb.JPG.3eb1d686ddc03c54ed14b536e1bfb261.JPG

DSC_0251.thumb.JPG.2f830854dda924377995f884b53703de.JPG

DSC_0252.thumb.JPG.a400d024ebd767cfc46d3ecc647b4144.JPG

DSC_0254.thumb.JPG.8342abd9dde6db2fa08ded8b7696a913.JPG

9 minutes ago, Rich said:

back legs of the seats look clean, always a sign of premium product.

Lol...how anal are you lot! I doubt they've ever been dusted, never mind cleaned...out of sight, out of mind and all that. The bodywork normally has a mirror finish, but it's not had the coats of carnauba wax this year as we're a tad busy renovating the house and garden (untouched for 4 years). 

I missed out on a set of standard wheels the other night on ebay, they went for less than £80 (worn tyres, no centrecaps and needed a refurb) but I was busy...after your comments, I'm going to keep looking for a set and put it back to completely standard again, if it stays with us...I like to have my classic bikes as they came out of the factory (even down to buying original bolts at extortionate prices), so there's no excuse to not get the Lupo back to its former glory!

My wife commented that you didn't notice her VW "wolf" seatbelt cuddly toy (in the rear)...one optional extra I would of done without but she saw it in Smith Knight Fay and had to have it!

On 7/30/2017 at 9:41 AM, Rich said:

my other half has a dinged and scratched car and she is terrible.

definite correlation.

I have to play spot the new scratch every day - the real cost of free on street parking!

Ahhh my GTI is crap so I'm going to swap it for a TDi as I want to fit a tow bar and pull a mobile home over the highlands.

:swerve:

24 minutes ago, Silver! said:

Ahhh my GTI is crap so I'm going to swap it for a TDi as I want to fit a tow bar and pull a mobile home over the highlands.

Use the dune....

59 minutes ago, cj1 said:

Dashboard and steering column are dusty though. ;)

I'll get on it straight away lol...down to lack of use and lazy owners!

...and Silver!...you don't need to swap your GTI for a TDI, as your "Currently Driving" says you already have a silver one along with your GTI;):P

3 hours ago, Silver! said:

A poor attempt at wit; but there are only 3 vehicles worthy of the GTI strap line, the Mk 1 & 2 Golf's and the Peugeot 205 

4 hours ago, Silver! said:

Buy it fast before people realize they will be valuable classics and they start going up in value :)

i think you'll find that on this forum, we are all lovers of the Lupo and Arosa in all forms.

To be honest if I were wanting to pull anything more than a matchbox, I would be thinking of cars bigger and better at the job than any of the Lupo based variants: even the Polo wouldn't do it for me.

Horses for courses though and out of he box, the GTI is the most fun to drive and the TDI is likely the best to live with on a daily basis.

But when it comes down to it, the little things which make the GTI that little bit different; which can also be a pain in the arse, are what we love about it. 

I have a Polo Dune 1.4 TDI as a daily. It's definitely not fast but it performs really well on the Scottish roads and sticks flat around the bends, due to the beefed up suspension on the Dune and nothing to do with the engine, but as a comparison for the GTI; it lacks the spirit and fun.

i think the Lupo GTI wears the badge well and remember; when it was released it was the quickest car to wear the GTI badge.

I drove my GTI to Spain a couple of years ago across the Pyrenees and back through Andorra in the company of and Mercedes SL500 and an Audi TT RS amongs others and they were both impressed with the performance of the GTI in the mountains.

I've done road trips with @jon_273in the UK, both pre and post his TDI remap and we had great fun. The cars both got us where we were going in as much fun I'm sure, but Jon still went and bought a GTI or two.

So back to the start; I think you'll find that on this forum, we are all lovers of the Lupo and Arosa in all forms.

...apart from maybe @The Penguinwho appears to have a downer on the GTI; but that's OK. 

Aand once again for the record; we all know silver is the best colour :wub:

40 minutes ago, Silver! said:

i think you'll find that on this forum, we are all lovers of the Lupo and Arosa in all forms.

To be honest if I were wanting to pull anything more than a matchbox, I would be thinking of cars bigger and better at the job than any of the Lupo based variants: even the Polo wouldn't do it for me.

Horses for courses though and out of he box, the GTI is the most fun to drive and the TDI is likely the best to live with on a daily basis.

But when it comes down to it, the little things which make the GTI that little bit different; which can also be a pain in the arse, are what we love about it. 

I have a Polo Dune 1.4 TDI as a daily. It's definitely not fast but it performs really well on the Scottish roads and sticks flat around the bends, due to the beefed up suspension on the Dune and nothing to do with the engine, but as a comparison for the GTI; it lacks the spirit and fun.

i think the Lupo GTI wears the badge well and remember; when it was released it was the quickest car to wear the GTI badge.

I drove my GTI to Spain a couple of years ago across the Pyrenees and back through Andorra in the company of and Mercedes SL500 and an Audi TT RS amongs others and they were both impressed with the performance of the GTI in the mountains.

I've done road trips with @jon_273in the UK, both pre and post his TDI remap and we had great fun. The cars both got us where we were going in as much fun I'm sure, but Jon still went and bought a GTI or two.

So back to the start; I think you'll find that on this forum, we are all lovers of the Lupo and Arosa in all forms.

...apart from maybe @The Penguinwho appears to have a downer on the GTI; but that's OK. 

Aand once again for the record; we all know silver is the best colour :wub:

I haven't got a downer as you call it on GTI badged Lupo's, there's nothing much wrong with any Arosa or Lupo model per se. Each one though is a compromise

21 hours ago, Steve C said:

My wife commented that you didn't notice her VW "wolf" seatbelt cuddly toy (in the rear)...one optional extra I would of done without but she saw it in Smith Knight Fay and had to have it!

And I thought I was the only one with these in their car!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Penguin said:

I haven't got a downer as you call it on GTI badged Lupo's, there's nothing much wrong with any Arosa or Lupo model per se. Each one though is a compromise

compromise on what?