CJ1's Red 1.4 TDI Sport

cj1

Thought I'd start a thread on the other car that is keeping me busy aside from the rally car. 

Last year I bought a red 1.4 TDI Sport for a price that was very low. It had been bumped into whilst parked up next to a kerb, and on initial inspection, other than being a little bit green in places it looked relatively OK and thought it would be OK after a wash. 

It also has a detachable towbar which someone thought was factory fitted but I'm not sure. 

Fast forward 7/8 months and I've just got re-motivated to do something with it, and hopefully this thread will help with that too! 

List of faults

• Crack in right hand side of rear bumper (New one required)
  • Right side of rear beam was bent inwards (New beam required) 
  • O/S/R Shock absorber bent
  • Passenger window regulator faulty, the clips have come loose and the window no longer goes up properly
  • Central locking doesn't work on drivers door
  • One wheel has been pushed inwards and split right in the middle
  • Bump strip on o/s/r quarter is peeling away

So nothing what I'd consider to be "major", and the strikethrough ones have been done already. 

I've just bought a set of 4 Lupo sport alloys (want it to be relatively OEM) for the grand sum of £63 which I thought was a steal! 

List of things that I also want to refresh:

• Get dents removed 
  • Remove bump strips entirely and machine polish the car
  • Full service
  • Clean interior as the seats are a little manky
  • New aerial (Small things but if I put it here I'll remember!) 

Pictures to follow when I have the time! 

Edited by cj1

PB pulled a **** move recently about 3rd party hosting and in whatever dreamland they inhabit they think trying to charge people £££s for something that should be free is a good idea. You'll find many threads all over the internet with broken pic links now as a result of their stupidity.

I'm in the same boat looking for another pic host, there are plenty but i havent bothered yet.

Ahh I did think something odd was going on, I've noticed the "upgrade your account" images all over the show this week. Didn't think much of it till now though! 

I know you can directly add images to here, but how long that lasts for too i have no idea.... 

Bought new ones Rich. They weren't that expensive and figured may as well do it properly, do it once.... 

So currently got sat around, new struts, new front springs, window reg clips, keep me busy for an evening! :)

• 4 new tyres
  • New suspension arms
  • New ball joints
  • New tie rod ends
  • New drivers door lock 
  • Window regulator repaired
  • New front springs / struts 
  • New ARB Drop links 
  • Replacement rear bumper - needs painting but is in much better condition than the original. 

It's getting there.... Slowly, but surely!

Going to book the MOT soon :)

Edited by cj1

Good work, this reminds me I really need to get off my bum and get on with mine. Red one still marooned in garage with no engine or box in it, black one i'm driving and MOT due soon. Was planning on getting red one on the road and driving it then getting black one finally sorted out, but being an olympic level procrastinator plans and results dont often match up.

• 5 months later...

Final list. 

• 4 new tyres
  • New suspension arms
  • New ball joints
  • New tie rod ends
  • New drivers door lock 
  • Window regulator repaired
  • New front springs / struts 
  • New ARB Drop links 
  • Replacement rear bumper - needs painting but is in much better condition than the original. 
  • New front discs & pads
  • New rear shock absorbers

Happy to report we finally got an MOT on this last week and I've been using it as a run about to keep costs down rather than using the main car for work. (Arteon).

It makes a weird whining noise on startup though, like it starts, loud whining and then runs fine afterwards. Lasts a few seconds or so, anyone any ideas? I'll post a video later when I get chance. 

11 minutes ago, Rich said:

sticky starter motor.

repair or replace otherwise live with it for years as many do.

That's the only thing I could think of. But it's not causing an issue so I probably will just live it with.

What exactly causes it? (IE if I was to go for the repair option, what am I actually repairing?) 

I'll get some pictures when the weather clears up.

And I'm glad we saved this one, I'd never driven the TDI before but it's quite nice actually. 

Remap is on the list. Awesome have a generic one listed for £150, think we're gonna give that a go first. 

Want to do some subtle mods but struggling for inspiration at the moment!