Lupo GTI High Beam light

MikeMcM

Hey folks,

not long got myself Lupo GTI and my high beam light on the drivers side has gone...had a look and it's not for budging....is it just as simple as pulling it out and switch it? 

Want to ask before I end up breaking somthing haha! 

The cover on the back of the lamp is held on with a metal clip, unclip that and it will pull away, but not completely as the wiring loom goes through the cover. The bulb is an H3, has a negative wire that comes off the back of the bulb that connects to the negative terminal inside the lamp. The bulb is held in with a spring clip and shouldn't be too hard to remove. As the car owner's bible, the mighty Lord of Haynes says, refitting is the opposite of removal.

• Like 2

On 07/07/2017 at 8:21 AM, lupogtiboy said:

The cover on the back of the lamp is held on with a metal clip, unclip that and it will pull away, but not completely as the wiring loom goes through the cover. The bulb is an H3, has a negative wire that comes off the back of the bulb that connects to the negative terminal inside the lamp. The bulb is held in with a spring clip and shouldn't be too hard to remove. As the car owner's bible, the mighty Lord of Haynes says, refitting is the opposite of removal.

Nice one thanks. 

Managed to get it out easily with your instructions and have replaced it with a H3 but no light still, any ideas what could cause this?

thanks. 

On 06/07/2017 at 11:12 PM, Rich said:

there is no light, just a solenoid which opens a flap and increases the angle.

listen for it, sounds expensive.

why couldnt they just use a twin filament bulb like the rest of the planet

Have you checked the fuses? That would be my next place to check....

GTI's have the Bi-xenon main headlamp, but it doesn't flash when you have the headlights switched off, so they used the inner lamp to house the high beam and the side light. This is the light that flashes when the headlamps are off and you want to let someone go or say thank you by flashing your lights. Its probably to save on wear and load on the xenon ballasts and bulbs. It also helps to keep the Lupo's cheeky/surprised front end!

Edited by lupogtiboy

9 hours ago, lupogtiboy said:

Have you checked the fuses? That would be my next place to check....

GTI's have the Bi-xenon main headlamp, but it doesn't flash when you have the headlights switched off, so they used the inner lamp to house the high beam and the side light. This is the light that flashes when the headlamps are off and you want to let someone go or say thank you by flashing your lights. Its probably to save on wear and load on the xenon ballasts and bulbs. It also helps to keep the Lupo's cheeky/surprised front end!

Sorted all back to working order....it was the fuse ?. Thanks lupogtiboy...not sure why I never thought of the fuse tbh hahaha. 

• Like 1

I tend to look for the simple/obvious first before presuming its a worst case scenario. Unlike my dad, its ALWAYS something expensive when his car goes wrong, and 99% of the time he's wrong! LOL!

• Like 1