Lupo 1.4 16v newbie

Bazray

Hello Guys, new member here, just bought a little 1.4 16v in silver for £500.

got her home and have spent the last two days cleaning, waxing polishing, she has come up an absolute treat. The car has a full VW service history (13 stamps) and is sitting on 75000 miles.

looking through the service history there is no sign of the cambelt being done, so bought a Gates powergrip kit with waterpump of ebay for £90 and my local mechanic has said he will fit it for £75! So that will be one less thing to worry about.

one thing i did notice, is that the temprature gauge is not working, so bought and fitted a genuine vw temp sensor, this has not cured the problem, and i now notice if i wiggle it a little a small drip of coolant leaks out, dont know if i did something wrong? I went into a garage, and they advised me to stop driving it till its sorted, as I will have no way to know if its overheating which could lead to major head gasket problems, phoned another and they said long as you keep an eye on the coolant and make sure its not boiling, all will be good. Thoughts?

one other small issue, the gearbox feels not very smooth, it selcts all gears perfectly, and makes no noise, is this just normal, or is there anything i can do to improve it?

anyway, really happy with the motor so far, touch wood, £500 seems an absolute steal.

thanks in advance for any advice

b

Edited by Bazray