Autocar have bought a lupo for £320...

lupo1.0se

Spotted this today when browsing through. One of the writer has bought a lupo for £320.

Plans are to fix it and get it to worthsee next year....

Link

https://www.autocar.co.uk/opinion/new-cars/opinion-can-you-buy-good-car-£300

Edited by lupo1.0se
  • Like 2

I bought a black 2002 1 litre Lupo for my daughter 4 weeks ago, its needed new discs, a bottom ball joint and a new power steering pipes [the ones on the rack that are impossible to get to] all in cost with new MOT £445. Its a simple car with no electric windows nor central locking, so fewer things to go wrong, it has got a VW Gamma cd and radio fitted. [and a towbar?]

1 hour ago, The Penguin said:

no need for the offensive comment about its prettier sister the Arosa

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

This is quite an interesting read, especially as it's quite relevant to me as I'm getting closer to my driving test (a month and two days now), and I'll be buying one very soon after. If he hasn't ended up with a lemon for £320, this gives me a bit of hope as I'm despairing at the prices of TDis at this point, so if the petrol 1.4 isn't too shabby then it'll be good.

14 hours ago, Joe Alker said:

This is quite an interesting read, especially as it's quite relevant to me as I'm getting closer to my driving test (a month and two days now), and I'll be buying one very soon after. If he hasn't ended up with a lemon for £320, this gives me a bit of hope as I'm despairing at the prices of TDis at this point, so if the petrol 1.4 isn't too shabby then it'll be good.

Tdi Arosa's are really cheap. 

Evryones running scared of diesels at the moment. 

Picked  mine up for £150 and spent £250 getting it up to scratch ?

Edited by wehey

the arosa is a dirty inferior animal.

I found more on the 'wehey bearing theory'. Google A2 shift bushings or something and you will find pictures and explanations. 

52 minutes ago, Rich said:

the arosa is a dirty inferior animal.

I found more on the 'wehey bearing theory'. Google A2 shift bushings or something and you will find pictures and explanations. 

It's funny you mention this coz it drove fine for ages after fitting and adjusting  them. 

Then one day I decided to tweak them some more and just couldn't find that sweet spot again. 

I put the sloppy old bushings on the silver tdi and it shifts just fine. 

From this I recon there's slop somewhere else in the chain which makes for a crunchy shift and it's not the gearbox at all  

Maybe it's actually the gear lever  that's the problem?? Dunno???

On 09/06/2017 at 9:35 PM, Rich said:

premium cheap little cars atm.

I have a gumtree link for all below 1200 on my homescreen.

A little Loop SDI has popped up locally to me with only 65K on it. The guy only wants £450.

if only I had the space..........

IMG_1778.PNG

Edited by wehey

7 hours ago, The Penguin said:

Lupo's have the dead fish look pioneered by Mercedes with their 2nd e class the w210. As this is one of the worst cars they have ever made its a tainted look

dEAD fish look.jpg

:rolleyes:

It's mid 90's style that Merc adopted for a few of their cars, I'm not saying its a bad look just that the Arosa's is better but beauty in is the eye of the beholder. I also like the idea that SEAT cars are built in Catalonia, I'd rather some of my money went there than entirely to the Krauts B)

1 hour ago, Rich said:

too many used those lights to generalise it.

most lupos were built by the Mexican counterparts.

I thought Lupos were built entirely in Germany?

12 hours ago, The Penguin said:

It's mid 90's style that Merc adopted for a few of their cars, I'm not saying its a bad look just that the Arosa's is better but beauty in is the eye of the beholder. I also like the idea that SEAT cars are built in Catalonia, I'd rather some of my money went there than entirely to the Krauts B)

There as in Spain you mean? You can also buy a Polo, they are also made in Spain ;)

2 hours ago, Rich said:

too many used those lights to generalise it.

most lupos were built by the Mexican counterparts.

Belgians are Mexican now?

Edited by Blue Loop

10 hours ago, Blue Loop said:

There as in Spain you mean? You can also buy a Polo, they are also made in Spain ;)

I'm not a huge fan of the Germans but if you want a good car you really have no choice; the VAG is a huge multi national conglomerate with its profits going back to the Fatherland, a little of this trickles down to Catalonia and other places in Europe but in general, spreading production around is about lowering wage costs

11 hours ago, The Penguin said:

I'm not a huge fan of the Germans but if you want a good car you really have no choice; the VAG is a huge multi national conglomerate with its profits going back to the Fatherland, a little of this trickles down to Catalonia and other places in Europe but in general, spreading production around is about lowering wage costs

Don't be mistaken, basically all the money goes to Germany.

The only thing staying in Spain are the workers' wages.

Edited by Blue Loop
  • Like 1

Usually you can determine the factory of origin using the VIN ;) Here's a 'How To' robbed from elsewhere on the web....

The Vehicle Identification Number consists of 17 characters, either a number or letter. In identifying a particular vehicle only characters 7 to 17 are particularly relevant.

The first 3 letters are the WMI, World Manufacturer Identifier. For VW's the characters are WVW. The W is for Germany and the VW is the manufacturers code. The country indicator is not necessarily the country of manufacture, this comes later on in the VIN.

The 4th to 9th characters are the VDS, Vehicle Descriptor Section. This is used to identify vehicle type, model and body style. The first 3 characters of the VDS are not used for the european market and are therefore filled with the letter Z. Positions 7 & 8 on the VIN are for the model description and are either a number and a letter or both numbers. 1J denotes a Golf Mk4 and Bora, 1K denotes a Golf Mk5 and Golf Plus. Place 9 is for use in North American markets, so is also marked with a Z.

The 10th - 17th characters are the VIS, Vehicle Identifier Section. The 10th character is the model year (not necessarily the calender year) in which the car was built. The 11th character denotes the plant of manufacture and is therefore of particular interest to many owners The numbers from 12 to 17 are the vehicles unique serial number.

Model Years;                                                 

A=1980                                                           

B=1981                                                          

C=1982

D=1983

E=1984

F=1985

G=1986

H=1987

J=1988

K=1989

L=1990

M=1991

N=1992

P=1993

R=1994

S=1995

T=1996

V=1997

W=1998

X=1999

Y=2000

1=2001

2=2002

3=2003

4=2004

5=2005

6=2006

7=2007

8=2008

9=2009

Plant of Manufacture; (list includes, VW, Audi, Seat, Skoda & Porsche plants)

A=Ingolstadt-Germany

B=Brussels-Belgium

C=Taipei-Taiwan (1994>)

C=Sao Bernardo do campo- Plant 4, Brazil

D=Bratislava-Slovakia (1995>)

D=Ipiranga-Brazil (1996 only)

E=Emden-Germany

F=Ipiranga & Resende-Brazil

G=Steyr-Daimler Puch, Graz-Austria

H=Hanover-Germany

J=Jakarta-Indonesia (1998>)

K=Osnabruck/Rheine-Germany (Karmann)