Standard Dampers (shocks) for GTI

indie

Hello gang,

Does anybody know if the OE damper for the GTI was oil or oil/air based?

I'm going to replace the fronts on the old girl, but there are so many after market (OE fit) options.

Looking at some TRW's (JHM185T), which seem to be a standard replacement, but no real info on these.

Cheers

The GTI has gas shocks all round from the factory.

Front Factory Shock - 6E0 413 031 E £95.70 inc vat each

Front VW Economy Shock - JZW 413 031 D (pairs only)  £57.22 inc vat each

Rear Factory Shock - 6E0 513 025 A £60.92 each inc vat

Rear VW Economy Shock - JZW 513 025 C £43.97 inc vat each (pairs only)

The VW Economy parts or 5+ is a range of parts that VW have produced to help keep older cars on the road by reducing costs but not the quality. They do a variety of parts like batteries, brake pads & discs, alternators, starters, shocks and so on. They all have the same factory-made guidelines their full price counterparts do and the same warranty (2 years/unlimited mileage and 3 years on batteries)

• Like 1

Thanks @lupogtiboy this is great info.

I believe I ended up with the economy shocks for the rear. When I bought it the dampers back there were completely buggered.

I don't want to skimp on things for the car, but I'm happy to keep it standard and it's no longer a no expense spared project. In the past I've spent thousands (like we all have) treating cars to only the bests parts going, but ultimately this is my daily so I'd just like it to behave how they intended from the factory - no more or less.

FWIW these were the one's the local parts place seem to recommend. TRW seemed to be quite highly regarded, but they seem very cheap and while they are listed for the vehicle I'm not sure if they will work.

https://www.buycarparts.co.uk/trw/2197998

I have Eco rear pads on the Lupo, Eco front pads on my Up, can't say I've noticed any difference in the way either car stops over the factory originals. I don't really use Euros for anything as they don't seem to do any parts for the Lupo GTIi unless its a common part with a non-GTI, plus with me actually working as a parts advisor for a main dealer, I do get good discount on some parts, it seems pretty stupid of me to fit non-oe parts!

I need new discs/pads up front.

Ecp don't seem overly cheap on them, being Jewish if it is only a couple.of quid more.for the budget oem, I will go for them

On the subject of cheap front discs, mine is still bloody warping the damn things.

New callipers and wheel bearings.

I'm going to try something more expensive and observe a proper bed in procedure.

I love the sh*t out my Lupo, but it's become hard work lately.

Not sure if to take a punt on those TRW shocks.

4 hours ago, Rich said:

I assume vw ones are on the rape scale of the pricing structure?

Front discs - 6N0 615 301 E - £64.76 each inc vat

Front Pads - 6N0 698 151 B - £57.84 inc vat