Someone to change my Sdi 1.7 cambelt

Dann2707

Personally I recon £400 is about £100 too much but not that far out.

As a point of reference I've just parted with £300 to have cam belt changed on my Golf SDI and felt that was a fair price given the scale of the job.

Could I have done it myself? Probably with time, but it would have taken me a full weekend most likely and I'd spend the next four years worrying about it.

The chap who carried out the work is a renowned local 'go to' tech for TDI/VAG stuff and knows them inside out, not the cheapest but well regarded. He left all of the removed parts in the boot as requested and used a Gates Powergrip kit for the job as I'd specified. I consider myself fairly competent at average car DIY stuff and much as I loathe paying other people to do stuff on my car I made an exception for this.

For the most part I started to fix and maintain my own cars for probably very similar reasons to other folk on the forum, it's sickening paying circa £50 an hour to someone who speaks to you like an idiot to bodge/break stuff on you vehicle, but  timing belts are a job I' happy to farm out to a decent tech to deal with. Life's too short and frankly I have a family I don't see enough of as it is what with work commitments etc.

One thing you want to be sure of is that you choose someone with a good rep/VAG knowledge, this isn't the kind of job you want botched TBH. local 'Dub' based Facebook groups (Dare I say it) should be able to provide you with some suggestions.

Top tip, supply whoever you choose with a new aux belt to fit (They're only £10 or so) Given it's coming off anyway it's pointless putting the old one back on ;) 

TLDR: If you're unsure about doing it yourself then pay someone else to do it, just make sure they're competent. This isn't a job you want to cut corners on.

Edited by JoeyEunos