Lupo 20v Mid Engined RWD Build

Dannynewport1978

12 hours ago, mk2 said:

just had a mad thought... i helped build one of the first 4wd corrados, and at the time we had to fit the rear floor from a rally into a corrado to fit the subframe. instead of cutting out the old one, we managed to buy a brand new floor panel. custom welded it in and it was perfect. i'm sure it is possible to source a new panel. looks like Dan didn't cut right up to the edge, so me thinks if someone was keen enough, they could replace it and restore back to normal gti... it'd take time though. the rest of the floor would need to be cut out first, right up to the first weld seam which he left.

Love your optimism. Can't see that thing ever getting back on British roads.

• 2 weeks later...

He's absolutely lost his marbles here (or had he lost them around the time we were telling him not to desecrate a GTi in the first place?). 1200 quid for a knackered GTI, you can buy a working one for £2500 without the floor pan cut out and all of the extra baggage that he's insisted on throwing in. Not even sure it has the original engine. He's not mentioned it.....

Nah, give it a swerve. Let's hope others who come up with these genius ideas don't do what he did.....

He wants it gone by this weekend as well, in which case the pricing needs to be the other way around, I can see him just letting the scrap man take it like they did with the rear beam etc.

it doesnt have the original GTI engine or box (i asked) sounded like the scrap man got them too but I might be reading more into the words he used than were meant so not 100% sure on that point.

I agree something wasnt quite normal with him and his way of doing things.

Edited by Sausage

So he wants 1200 quid for a lump of metal. Oh goody. Find my chequebook. 

I wonder about the 'timewaster' as well. Maybe he turned up, ready to collect and realised it wasn't quite how he had described it. I bet you won't get long odds from the bookies on that.

In the condition it's currently in, it's not worth more than about 600 quid. The whole "the wings are worth 250 each so I want big money" is a total non sequitur.

The ecu could be worth good money, but it is an unknown like the engine, I couldnt justify paying top dollar for them.

Allowing for:

ecu £150

engine £150

gearbox £100

Axle £50

bits and bobs £150

that's £600,  to get the shell for free, factoring another £100 on top to get it home.

So unless you live very near and can pick it up for nothing it really struggles to be worth much more than that.

• 2 years later...

This looks familiar - 2.0T FSI block for sale as no longer needed for mock-up purposes:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-0-TFSI-engine-block-AXX-BWA-BWE-Audi-VW-/143890521386?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=27G61yhBLDZ005VnDIugggmpTPk%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc

s-l1600.jpg

TFSI Mid engined Lupo gti? or twin engined? - either way this looks like the Lupo from this thread - if it is... its good that it has been developed

Edited by LR5V

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/26/2020 at 9:03 PM, LR5V said:

This looks familiar - 2.0T FSI block for sale as no longer needed for mock-up purposes:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-0-TFSI-engine-block-AXX-BWA-BWE-Audi-VW-/143890521386?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=27G61yhBLDZ005VnDIugggmpTPk%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc

s-l1600.jpg

TFSI Mid engined Lupo gti? or twin engined? - either way this looks like the Lupo from this thread - if it is... its good that it has been developed

Nope, this is another GTI being converted, I know the owner, he used to work for the VW/Audi group I still work for. I bought some front GTI callipers for £30 off him before Christmas. He will get this finished though. I believe his original engine blew up, so he took the car off the road, it was previously written off as it had the interior stolen from it, so he's already 'rescued' it once before! 

• Like 1