Lupo 20v Mid Engined RWD Build

Dannynewport1978

Hi all, I decided Friday that I'm going to start building a 20V rear engined rwd Lupo. I've built a Tiger B6 kitcar years ago with an R1 engine which was fun but had to sell it. I fully converted a T5 camper & recently sold that too, now I'm bored & want another project, was originally going to go down the bike engined route again but weighed up the costs of a bike motor & future tuning & decided it's not really cost effective compared to the price & tuning capabilities of a 20v.
After a bit of research I bought an AGU engine with 60000 genuine miles, an emerald standalone ecu, VR6 clutch & G60 flywheel.
I've spoken to a few people regarding tuning these engines & this is what I'm planning to do.
Obviously I'm going to do the brakes & suspension too.

Leave pistons standard as they are good for 500bhp,

Standard cams, Race cams not needed as AGU has big port head & cams are plentiful

Integrated Engineering Steel rods
Siemens 630cc Deka Injectors
Bosch 044 fuel pump

BKR7EIX Spark plugs
BorgWarner EFR 6258 turbo & manifold.
I'm ideally hoping to go 400+ BHP but don't know what kind of figure I can expect with this setup, I'm not buying a BAM if anybody suggests it as I've already got the AGU & I don't think the BAM is a better option.

Also the gearbox? I'll get a LSD but I've been told any 02J 5 speed box is fine but what are thoughts on this.

And as for rear mounting the engine I'm unsure whether to make a space frame for the rear or weld in a VAG subframe & mount the engine on that. If I go down the subframe route does anybody which subframe is closest width of a Lupo but will accept the 20v with mods obviously. 

Any links to mid engined builds will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks guys in advance.

IMG_7424.JPG

IMG_7425.JPG

IMG_7426.JPG

IMG_7441.JPG

IMG_7442.JPG

Edited by Dannynewport1978

desecration of a gti.

I'm for this as it adds value to mine.

I'm against this as you should save it and use a lesser value base.

curious on the reg and if it is the cheap Cumbria based one which was for sale recently.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Rich said:

desecration of a gti.

I'm for this as it adds value to mine.

I'm against this as you should save it and use a lesser value base.

curious on the reg and if it is the cheap Cumbria based one which was for sale recently.

No it's from a friend & I paid £300 :P

1 hour ago, Dannynewport1978 said:

No it's from a friend & I paid £300 :P

Do up the GTI? Sell for profitz?

3 hours ago, The Penguin said:

do you recall the rear engined Golf with a W12 motor fitted, it featured on Top Gear, you'll have the same handling problems, the chassis is too short

Once the engine is in the back the hard work is done. If it's too unbalanced then I'll get another AGU & do the same mods & put one in the front too which is the easy part.

So if anybody can help me with the original post please do so as it's going ahead whether you want to see a GTI chopped up or not!???

• Like 1

chop it, more fool you.

that gti as it stands now is worth more money untouched than it will when you finish or someone weighs it in.

I've wanted to see a rear engine one done for a while now, but I would agree that a GTI isnt the place to try and do this in.

If you had done this previously to a base shell and knew what to do and not f@ck it up then I would say go for the GTI as well, but as it is fix or sell on the GTI and do it in a diesel with cheap tax on it.

Who sells a GTI for £300 anyway?

Edited by Sausage

22 hours ago, Dannynewport1978 said:

Once the engine is in the back the hard work is done. If it's too unbalanced then I'll get another AGU & do the same mods & put one in the front too which is the easy part.

So if anybody can help me with the original post please do so as it's going ahead whether you want to see a GTI chopped up or not!???

That was done famously in a Twin Peaks racing Scirocco

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2016/11/bi-curiosities-volkswagens-twin-engine-terrors/

The AGU isn't the best choice IMHO. Sure, it's got the big port head, but it's also got a throttle cable. ME7 is much better for tuning. There's a good reason for using something like a BAM, as even the APY doesn't have WBO2 or EGT monitoring, so the later engines are much less likely to make holes in pistons.

A GTI is a good shell to base it on, depending on how much modification you intend do to the body, otherwise it is a bit of a waste. With all the rear end modification,  I would be very tempted to go space frame or semi-space frame, with some double wishbone suspension. You can pick up a standard Lupo on the cheap, and chop away without worry.

I keep looking at 1.8T conversions, but part of the of the Lupo's appeal is the low weight and nibbleness. Twin engines would be out for me. I'd rather have one 800PS motor than 2x 400.

• 5 weeks later...

Bit of a delay getting this on the way but should be starting to get somewhere now pretty soon. I've decided to go with the BorgWarner EFR 6258 turbo with high flow cast manifold which I will be ordering in the next few weeks.

Took the engine out on the weekend

A little helper giving me a hand

IMG_8226.JPG

IMG_8234.JPG

IMG_8235.JPG

IMG_8236.JPG

Photobucket waste of time removing links

There will be a firewall going in. I've measured & I have enough room too. Not a lot but it will go in.:P

Thanks for the link though, the firewall I have already to go in is from a VW LT but I might fab my own now looking at that.:thumbsup: