V Belt on 1.4 TDI AMF

4Cough

Good Morning Gentlemen!

I am in a bit of a pickle. while driving home Friday night my battery light came on. upon investigation I saw I no longer have a V Belt.
While stripping to see what the problem was I found the alternator pulley was broken and the alternator shaft had warped.
I replaced the alternator but VW cannot supply me the belt as they have no stock. they have spec'd the belt as 21.19 x 1188.

I thought the belt was too long while installing so I used the belt from my other lupo but then my aircon wasn't working properly.

I took the car in to get the aircon pump checked out, I was told nothing is wrong with it, but it seems the wrap angle on the pulley is incorrect. this must be why I thought the other belt was too long, I didn't route the belt correctly.

So now to get to the point, if route the belt differently then the smooth section of the belt runs against the aircon pulley, so my question is, is the 1.4 TDI AMF V Belt grooved on both sides of the belt as illustrated here:

Ok so I just had a scan through my photos and I don't have anything particularly clear. But it this one you can just make out that the belt is double sided:

Engine_zpsjkyhdg0h.jpg

• Like 1