gti cutting out

indie

Had this on a tdi polo the other day, was gammy wiring on the loom, tried a new sensor, no better, had a good check over of the wiring, found a suspect bit of loom, stripped and repaired the breaks, all good.

Yeah I think thats fair Rich, I just had to do something and they're down the road.. so if no joy, then I'll have to find a mobile auto electrician.

Pete, good shout. The loom really looks fine, but I know that doesn't necessarily mean it is.

you can drive it to one providing they are within your radius.

vw would be liable to just say replace the whole loom. X amounts of monies.

G28 sensor is shown as fitting a few engine codes, AVY, ALD, ANV, ARR, AUC & AUD, but ETKA says its a camshaft sensor, not a crankshaft sensor. On my chassis number (2003 GTI) the part number is 030 907 601 E - £38.77 inc vat, VW currently have 126 in the main warehouse, so I guess they're expecting a lot to go wrong!

Crankshaft sensor is 030 957 147 L, listed as fitting ALD, AUC, AVY, AUD & ARR - £114.17 inc vat from VW, they only have 3 in the main warehouse though....

@Rich haha oh jeez - well I will learn the hard way I guess. Funnily enough it shat itself at precisely the moment I had to drive through Westgate tower in Canterbury. The bin men helped me push it out of the way in rush hour traffic, then it fired back up after I rustled around with the loom.

@lupogtiboy ah.. bugger, so maybe it's wiring up there. Those little wires are especially frail up top and over to the cam sensor. I love how G28 kinda means something's knackered, but VW sort of use it interchangeably for crank/cam sensor, although clearly they are not the same thing. haha

Well if it cut out and then worked again when you disturbed the loom than that should give you an idea of where the problem is.

True, but it's very intermittent... I mean like I'm not totally sure it's that.

I had hoped not to have to take the entire engine loom out, but it looks like that might be the stage I'm at...

Rich was right about finding an auto electrician.

Edited by indie

When I might get it back tomorrow I might remove it and unwrap the tape/protective gubbins.

I hope it should be possible to see where it is snagged, what do you reckon?

Thanks Rich.

OK so, here is the damage...

As expected VW absolutely robbed me for looking at it.

None the less, it was actually quite a useful exercise because I now have a list of unrelated jobs to do (some a little pedantic, some not). TBH though, since I'd like to keep the car, this is fairly helpful.

Anyway, when I got home I took some of the loom out, but it all looks to be in good nick.

In a final act of desperation I walked over to my local motor factors and picked up

1) a new coil pack

2) a new cam sensor

And guess what...

Just drive 100 miles and not only does it go like a stabbed rat, no cutting out, no nonsense, back to it's old self - touch wood :)

haha now it has basically all new ignition stuff (plugs, leads, coil) and crank + cam sensors. It feels healthy now under your foot. Not a huge difference, but noticeable. I guess 126k will do that to parts.

Oh crap yeh, that is almost French thinking. Haha.

Check engine light came on this morning. Bloody thing.

Gonna investigate this afternoon. If it's the same code I'll clear it and keep an eye on it.

OK gang, so to close the loop on this.

In my case I'd say without any doubt the problem was a dodgy coil pack.

Swapping to a new crank sensor didn't help, although it was the most logical first step, because the ECU kept logging P0321 35-10. It wasn't until some time later that I read that a crank sensor code can show if there are other underlying issues.

From the Ross Tech Wiki..

When an engine will not start due to mechanical (spark/fuel/compression/timing) related issues it is not uncommon to set a false G28 fault codes due to extended cranking with a no-start condition.

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/16705/P0321/000801

RE the emergence of check engine light, that was down to a cheap HAAS cam sensor that I replaced while I was at it - you know, for good measure. The fault code was specific to this sensor, so I had a very good idea what was going on. Turns out that was a waste of money and putting the old cam sensor back sorted that problem almost straight away. My coil pack and leads are HAAS and those seem fine.

Hopefully this post is useful for anybody coming back later.

Thanks for all help above. Gonna be sticking around, got a few jobs to do on the car. Want to keep it on the road :)

TLDR - A crank sensor warning can show, even if the problem is elsewhere. Try the crank sensor first, if no joy, check the wiring and start looking elsewhere. If it cuts out at random and won't restart, well it might be worth looking at the coil pack.

Edited by indie
  • Like 1

take some pics, make a thread and add something to the archives.

participate when it works, not just when it breaks, keeps the balance going.

• Like 1