gti cutting out

indie

haha, yep just been out to have a look... spent some time looking at the front of the gearbox scratching me head :)

Seems like its an M6 bolt head and faces sort of down on rear/top section of the box.

Contrary to the pictures I've seen of the part, it looks like the wiring loom reaches out and plugs into the sensor, not a sensor with a loom included ... if you know what I mean?

Didn't have time to remove it yet. Lot's of sh*t in the way.

Have you got a picture of yours by any chance?

Doesn't help my VIN doesn't appear to work on various sites for finding the part.

Edited by indie

15 hours ago, indie said:

Thanks man.

I'm guessing jack it up and feel around the back of the bell housing?

Couldn't see it from the top like.

One of my only grumbles with the Loop is the lack of Haynes book. I bought some stupid download a while ago, but it was a massive pain to use.

at the back. May be easier with starter off too. 

Thanks for helping.

In this link I think there is a picture of a 6 speed box off the car. The part that I think we're talking about it directly below the throttle, or above where the drive shafts would normally go. Feels like a 6mm allen, but lots of linkage/clutch cable/hydraulic none sense in the way.

I could have sworn the starter is at the front on mine...

https://www.clubpolo.co.uk/forums/topic/328392-lupo-gti-block-and-gearbox-in-mk2/?page=2

sy2jd5.jpg

I've shown the cup so you get perspective.

I would remove the inlet manifold to do this, but you could use a mirror if you're clever and have skinny arms.

hehe thanks Rich.

The cheeky lovely persons - why did they put it there. haha.

What I like best about repairing my car in the street... a bit of public engine shagging. Tenner says I take 90% of the f*cking thing apart to get in there :-)

PS. I had a 106 gti before this... nothing can be as bad as that!

Oh my f*cking word...

That was horrific. I can't see anybody getting that out without removing things. If you've done it before you might if the car was on a ramp, but I think you'd need a mirror.

Inlet off. Fuel rail. Throttle body. Only then did I realise you meant this little sucker...

sy2jd5.thumb.jpg.5b9de64f2f132994b0c8678480e6e150.jpg

It was behind a rubber bung, which I could feel with my hands, but couldn't really make out.

On the plus no corrosion thanks to the rubber thing.

For anybody else that reads this the sensor appears to hold the bolt captive, so a little less worry once it's loose.. not exactly likely to drop back inside the gearbox (they at least thought that through).

I need a stiff drink and to order a new sensor.

Bit of an update.

Changed the sensor, but then it wouldn't start! Put back the old one, but same situation.. turns but won't start.

Got power, spark and fuel. All checked. Not a fuse. Alternator was new 6 months back. Battery is ok, checked with a multi meter.

Had a cuppa, scratched my head and it finally fires up with the spare key, now it's fine on both keys!

Any idea guys?

Would this be anything to do with the ignition switch? I've heard they can go a bit weird and cause cutting out and starting issues.

Edited by indie

Well against my and everybody else's guidance I ended up with a Facet unit.

I didn't know this until I went to collect. TPS in my area didn't have one for a couple of days. ECP said Bosch, but when I turned up it was Facet... I didn't have the energy to argue.

Sensor seems to function the same as the other though. There is no visible damage to the loom.

I read the G28 error code can mean many things, not always caused by the crank sensor itself being faulty...

At this point I'm considering a trip to VW. I'd say somebody familiar with interpreting the live data is needed.

Car has new ignition leads, alternator, new fuel pump (well two years ago).

I kinda expect the coil pack or fuel pump (again).

My 106 gti use to do an almost indentical thing - cut out and refuse to start. That was a dicky pump, which was really hard to pin point because most of the time it was fine.

So yup, either a trip to VW, or it's scrap. Lol.

The loom may look OK but you could still have a wiring issue. Or the Engine ECU can no longer read the signal from the G28.

Don't loose hope though it can be fixed. 

Had a 106 Gti myself. Such a nightmare car aswell the lupo is in a different league.

Yeah the 106 had like two engines, three gearboxes and a beam rebuild. Handling was better and I think the JP4 conversion made it quicker, but I much prefer my loop.

The maddening thing about the issue is that it'll do 20-30 miles fine, then die and refuse to start for an hour, or so. It really seems temperature related.

I guess the loom could be damaged and it only causes an issue every so often. I think it'll be a nightmare to trace though.

pin to pin, multimeter on continuity.

no connection, add a magic wire external to the loom.

I can post you my spare if you want to give it a go?

Thanks Rich, appreciate the offer.

I admitted defeat and have booked it in at VW.

The main dealer in my area is pretty good in my area. They've had the car in for various bits in the past.

I will post back!