gti cutting out

indie

Hello gang!

OK so having some bother with my GTI :(

This weekend, almost completely out of the blue, it started cutting out.

Embarrassingly there was a really nice red (modified) Lupo coming up just behind me near junction 29 on the M25 - anti clockwise. Would have given a wave, but unfortunately ended up dealing this none sense!

Overall my Loop is in pretty good nick. It's on 126k, but they are mostly motorway miles and it gets regularly serviced.

What struck me as strange is that after a half hour on the hard shoulder it suddenly fired back up. Unfortunately my return journey was plagued with this issue, so it's not a one off. TBH I didn't enjoy driving it back, but had little choice on a Sunday.

Following each cut out the starter turns it over fine, but the engine shudders and doesn't actually fire. I'd say there was something horribly wrong, but eventually it will start and run perfectly for tens of miles. I did 60 miles home today from my destination and it did this twice.

I haven't run a diagnostic on it yet and have one of those cheap cables from eBay, but it's a bit of a faff. Would a basic hand held diagnostic work to dump any fault codes? (EML is not on BTW)

A couple of years back it had a new fuel pump, so I'm guessing it's not a weak pump. Recently it had a new alternator and the batter seems perfectly fine.

Other than that anything I should check?

A blocked fuel filter seems possible because it cut out at the end of my street before parking, as if low fuel flow is causing the issue. I was simply tootling along in 6th when it cut the other times.

Coil-pack, cam/crank sensors are all originals, so also possible.

I'm a bit stumped really.

Thanks

I once had a golf mk3, kept cutting put and wouldn't restart for ten minutes at a time, that was the crank sensor, later I found out that once the oil reached a certain temp it was giving crappy readings. 

Thanks for the reply.

I guess it could be the crank sensor. Any idea of the location of this? My engine management light is on, which makes me think this is going to be a bugger to sort out.

In the case of oil giving crappy readings, is that related somehow?

On my old car the crank sensor was on the gearbox housing. Pretty sure it used to count the teeth on the flywheel as they went past.

Just ran VCDS lite on it.

P0171 & P0321 were logged.

What do you reckon?

Reads like the crank sensor.

I can't get much more info 1) because my cable came from eBay 2) I need a license.

eBay cables aren't great but okay if you're not reading measuring blocks etc.

sounds crankish, it is just on the front of these.

if you're near me I have a working spare you may borrow.

Thanks for the offer Rich, thats very kind. Sadly I'm way down in Kent these days, so it'll be a bit far to pop round.

Might give the crank sensor a go - they're probably not expensive.

Front of the block?

Read a few things about after market parts being total rubbish. You reckon its a VW/TPS job?

Sweet thanks, I'll give it a whirl - not ready to give it up just yet.

Daft sod fired up the moment the recovery truck arrived. The dude and his mate were like, ha thats bloody awesome - never seen one in real life. Should have sold him a cheap GTI.

haha.

Yap, that's exactly the issue I'm having - cut's out, starts maybe a half hour later when it has cooled down a bit. Goes like stink until the next episode.

ECP down may way reckon they have a Facet brand sensor. I expect that'll do the job - 45 squid.

Edited by indie

£37.79 if you get it online using their "Save30" code. ECP is the car world equivalent of DFS when it comes to never ending sales. 

Product: 419440341  

36 minutes ago, Rich said:

shouldn't there be more loyalty towards the trade though?

online is ****, counter is easy.

its not like the old days where trade were looked after, Im a heating engineer so my main supplier is plumbcentre, i know for a fact you go in waving cash about you will get the same prices I get

Just now, Mobieus_uk said:

its not like the old days where trade were looked after, Im a heating engineer so my main supplier is plumbcentre, i know for a fact you go in waving cash about you will get the same prices I get

pretty soon you will be able to click and collect cheaper.....

weekend codes.

Argos world.

I'm not happy about the supermarket culture that seems to be gathering.

Used to work in a bike shop when I was a student. Folks would come in, get sized up, ride the bike and f*ck off to order it online :(

Thanks man.

I'm guessing jack it up and feel around the back of the bell housing?

Couldn't see it from the top like.

One of my only grumbles with the Loop is the lack of Haynes book. I bought some stupid download a while ago, but it was a massive pain to use.