Not starting

GYToffee

Hi

My 1.4tdi Arosa was running fine

Then it started to struggle when starting. I checked the battery and found it wasn't keeping charge, or not enough to start the car at least.

I've swapped the battery, but still it won't start.

I've replaced the 109 relay as I've read on here it can cause running/starting issues, again it's not solved it.

At the moment all i get when I turn the key are the dash board lights, which then duly turn off.

Theres no clicking or whining at all, it doesn't even sound as though it wants to engage at all.

I've read through a few posts on here and other forums but now I'm stumped.

Any suggestions or similar issues

Cheers

Take starter motor off and try it direct on a battery, there will be vids out there on how to do that, you can use jump leads but be warned cheap jump leads wont carry the current and the starter will turn slower than expected, just do it straight on the battery if in doubt.

Here you go (might be crap havent really read it tbh): https://www.apexinds.com/blog/basic-bench-testing-starter-motor/?print=pdf

just hold the starter motor body on the earth pillar on the battery and jumper the other bits with a wire and a spanner, but make sure you are holding it tight.

Edited by Sausage

Does the starter click when you turn the key? Can you push start the car...

it's either a starting issue or a running issue. both very different things to solve. Once running is it fine, or is it a case that it cranks but doesn't fire into life?

Nothing happens when I turn the key. I've tried jumping it, made no difference.

I'll try connecting the starter directly as I haven't before.

When it was running there was no sign of any issue, it's literally just not starting, no clicking or anything like that

remove plug and bridge the big red with the red/black wire and see if it cranks.

bump start as suggested previous and bridging the starter are good tools of diagnosis.