SDI Coolant Change- Some Stupid Questions.

JoeyEunos

As per the title chaps...

In an ideal world I'd like to think that the PO used the correct G12 rated gear but the reality is I have no idea so would like to swap it out.

In the past (with other cars) I've simply... 

taken the bottom hose off, drain, bottom hose back on, re-fill via expansion bottle and then run at 2000 rpm with expansion bottle cap off, let cool and topped off.

Safe to follow this process with the Lupo SDI?

Should I be filling the rad up via the top hose first and then topping through the expansion after that or is it acceptable to do all filling through the expansion bottle?

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

No need to run the engine until you are ready.

I've done this a couple of times on an SDI and realised there is an easy way and a hard way... The easy way is get the engine up to running temp, or as hot as you can so the fan comes on with the filler cap off (so there's no pressure). This makes sure that the thermostat is fully open. Then like you say just push off the loose hose and the system completely empties.

Also before you start, loosen off the hose on the thermostat housing, so it's easy to pop off. Piece of cake and quick too.

• Like 1

Thanks, food for thought. I hadn't considered missing a protion of coolant due to the stat being closed :rolleyes:

And I'm ok to do all of the system filling via the expanion Tank? @Rich, any pearls of windom RE your prefered method for this process? I'd like to avoid any airlocks if at all possible <_<

42 minutes ago, mk2 said:

Also before you start, loosen off the hose on the thermostat housing, so it's easy to pop off. Piece of cake and quick too.

I'd planned to pull the bottom hose on the radiator rather than the thermostat... Have I missunderstood?

Edited by JoeyEunos

top secret.

I run a couple of descaler tablets through it for a week, drop it, flush it again and then top it up via the expansion, keep a bottle mixed up, run it to temp and the top up.

simple times and it clears the ****

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rich said:

top secret.

I run a couple of descaler tablets through it for a week, drop it, flush it again and then top it up via the expansion, keep a bottle mixed up, run it to temp and the top up.

simple times and it clears the ****

I like it :)

The only guides I could find were for TDI Golfs, and for some reason they all seem to want you to top up with the engine running :unsure: They also suggest filling the rad via the top hose first then proceeding to fill the rest via expansion. Had me baffled TBH.

Very odd.

Seems like my original plan to drain via bottom radiator hose and then re-fill via expansion is a 'gudun'.

Edited by JoeyEunos