4Cough's Lupo - SA #2

4Cough

Good day gents.

So as rare as the Lupo is in South Africa, I have managed to acquire a second one 600km from my house from the Coast (Durban)
The car is a Japanese Import and is Botswana Registered. I will not be able to register this car is SA (Legally anyways)
So I decided to build a Race Car / Toy. The Vehicle cost me R5000 which is about £290 and cost me the same amount just to get it shipped up to Johannesburg.
The Car is currently sitting on 137 000kms about 85 000 miles. it's a 1.4 Petrol Automatic. (If anyone has more information about this motor please educate me).
I have a feeling the motor is completely toast, we tried to start it with no success so did not waste any time, I got the vehicle Wednesday Night, Sunday the motor and gearbox was removed.

The Future Plan:
I am currently waiting for a 2007 Ibiza Cupra to be auctioned off from a Insurance company to fit it's 1.8 20vT heart into the little lupo. (Please share links of any links with loads of info so I know what I'm in for).

I will be fitting a roll cage and Bucket seats eventually as well :)

So here is some pictures from being loaded in Durban to front end strip, to motor & gearbox removal. and the Ibiza Cupra that I am currently looking at. Looking forward to all your comments, help & support :)

Car in Durban:

IMG-20170425-WA0049_zps0ssxnrbc.jpg
IMG-20170425-WA0050_zpsdfgveofd.jpg

Loaded on Truck ready to go:

IMG-20170425-WA0079_zpshuxkzsup.jpg

Front end stripped and engine lift ready:

IMG_20170429_131317_zpsbvg5clgv.jpg

Motor & Gearbox gone:

IMG-20170430-WA0028_zpsv8i5d2pm.jpeg

Ibiza Donor:

Screenshot_2017-04-26-21-14-59_zps64kfjw
Screenshot_2017-04-26-21-14-46_zpsdvsncm

Interesting set of wheels. Not a single match!

your biggest headache will be the gearbox. If it were me, with almost no Lupos in SA, I'd just "have" to find a way to make it road legal. Could become quite valuable.... Where can you get spare parts? My guess is glass would be the most difficult. I know a couple of people in Australia who have Corrados (only five in aus so far), and the biggest problems are glass and lamp lenses. 

Start a thread.... "The SA Lupo thread" or something. :)

@rich- which manual gearbox will fit besides polo/lupo? 

Edited by mk2

euro lupos use this strange engine we didnt get here, maybe that is in something there?

if you want to exchange some sa goodies for lupo stuff (mmm cup holder) I have been after an sa mk2 golf carpet for a while now!

:)

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 8:41 AM, mk2 said:

Interesting set of wheels. Not a single match!

your biggest headache will be the gearbox. If it were me, with almost no Lupos in SA, I'd just "have" to find a way to make it road legal. Could become quite valuable.... Where can you get spare parts? My guess is glass would be the most difficult. I know a couple of people in Australia who have Corrados (only five in aus so far), and the biggest problems are glass and lamp lenses. 

Start a thread.... "The SA Lupo thread" or something. :)

@rich- which manual gearbox will fit besides polo/lupo? 

Well I currently have a registered Lupo:

So I'm not phased about making this "new" one legal, it's just going to be my toy to mess around with.

I've already had to get a windscreen for the TDI and I had to get it from Botswana and ask a mate to bring it over when he went and visited family.

With regards to the thread name I have "4Cough Lupo - SA" & "4Cough Lupo - SA #2" you don't like?

What do you think will be the headache with the gearbox? lining up the drive shafts?

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 10:55 AM, Rich said:

euro lupos use this strange engine we didnt get here, maybe that is in something there?

if you want to exchange some sa goodies for lupo stuff (mmm cup holder) I have been after an sa mk2 golf carpet for a while now!

:)

Howzit Richard, I also need parts, if you would like me to look out for something let me know, you previously asked me to look out for a brake booster for you and then never got back to me, are we going to have a repeat of this??? :huh: