Buying a Lupo fairly soon...

Joe Alker

Hi,

I'm Joe from Manchester, 19, probably going to have my license by mid-July. So naturally I'll be looking for a car that I can actually get insured on, so I've decided to get a Lupo. Won't be buying it until I've passed my test, but I'm looking for advice on buying.

What's the best model of Lupo to buy? I'm looking for something that is sub-£750. Of course I can't get a GTi because of insurance and budget reasons. Also not buying an automatic.

I'm biassed. Go for the SDI and you'll be fine. Cheap running, cheap insurance and very reliable. Not much to go wrong. Check out the buyers guide. :)

• Like 3

I had a 1.0E as my first car, not so great on long drives on the motorway but otherwise perfectly fine.

That said, I've got a 1.4 TDI Sport in red that will be up for sale soon, not very far at all away from Manchester either. 

1.4 tdi is the perfect compromise on all.

versatile all round car.

plus when you're young you want to go everywhere and they do that all day long so cheaply.

Thanks for all the advice everyone :)

Been looking over the insurance groups, road tax and MPG on Parkers (I'm sure people will be able to tell me if they are reliable or not) and it would seem that the 1.4 TDi is looking to be the best choice. Unsure why the 2000-early 2001 models cost 5x more in road tax than the March 2001- ones do, perhaps someone can shed some light on this?

Insurance groups don't seem to be an issue on any car except the 1.4 Sport petrol and the GTi, the latter of which is well out of budget anyway. MPG seems excellent on the diesels which is as to be expected. Usage-wise, even though most of my travelling is likely to be within Manchester, I am likely to be on the motorway enough for this to be an important factor. I've also never driven a petrol car so it's an unknown quantity to me at this stage.

So am I right in assuming that the Lupo 1.4 Sport TDi seems to be the best option? What is the next best, in the circumstances that I can't get one when I come to buy one in July?

buy one now, I will deliver. :)

I have some wheels to pick up that way.

tax is emissions based, they changed it all then.

1.4 75 bhp thing isn't bad, had one when I was a nipper.

Thought it might have been emissions-related. The reason I'm not buying now and just sticking L-plates on it is - my parents do not drive or have licenses. So it would be sat there for at least two months before being used properly.

One of the questions insurances companies ask is how long you've owned the car- once it gets over three months, they assume you know the car and your risk drops- and so does the premium. It may save you money to buy it now, sorn it then get it on the road later. Also car prices go up with good weather, and summer's on its way!

The point about owning the car for a while beforehand makes sense, but I haven't really got anywhere to put the car, except on street, for the two months it would be SORN. Is it really a good idea to leave a car on street for two months, even if it is right outside my house?

15 minutes ago, Joe Alker said:

The point about owning the car for a while beforehand makes sense, but I haven't really got anywhere to put the car, except on street, for the two months it would be SORN. Is it really a good idea to leave a car on street for two months, even if it is right outside my house?

Not without tax or insurance no... Still on the public highway. 

In my opinion the 1.4 TDI is the best, next after that would be the 1.4 75bhp but just don't buy a rough one (there are/were lots of those out there so plenty of choice).

I had a 1.4 75bhp as my first car and it was more than fast enough to be honest!

Edited by jon_273