Exhaust bore for SDI

mr_pink_78

Hi, I've searched and searched the entire Internet ever and I can't find the answer to this, though I suspect I am simply missing it. 

Could anyone please inform me of whether a side exit pipe and manifold etc from any Lupo will fit an SDI, please? My exhaust has holes so parts need to go, am seizing the opportunity to fiddle,and there are a number of second hand systems on ebay. 

Thanks for your time, 

Mr Pink

I have a theory, but i can't prove it... With my two sdis, the only difference between them is the exhaust. One still has the original VW oem system. The other has an after market job. There is a noticable difference in power at high revs with the vw one- more power. I measured everything, and all the engine data is the same. I no longer have access to a rolling road to measure power/torque, but me thinks that the sdi version is more flowy than petrol versions.

ah, just had a thought- anyone out there with etka installed- is the part number for the sdi the same as the other (non gti) exhaust components?

Edited by mk2

57 minutes ago, mk2 said:

I have a theory, but i can't prove it... With my two sdis, the only difference between them is the exhaust. One still has the original VW oem system. The other has an after market job. There is a noticable difference in power at high revs with the vw one- more power. I measured everything, and all the engine data is the same. I no longer have access to a rolling road to measure power/torque, but me thinks that the sdi version is more flowy than petrol versions.

ah, just had a thought- anyone out there with etka installed- is the part number for the sdi the same as the other (non gti) exhaust components?

No

http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_single/catalog/vw/markt/RDW/modell/LU/year/2002/drive_standart/231/hg_ug/253/subcategory/253060/part_id/3696573/lang/e

http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_single/catalog/vw/markt/RDW/modell/LU/year/2002/drive_standart/231/hg_ug/253/subcategory/253060/part_id/3696573/lang/e

Thanks for searching cj1. that proves my theory! even the oxidising cat for AKU (sdi engine) is different. So only replace an SDI exhaust with an SDI exhaust if you don't want to lose power. I may have to change that non oem thing on my sdi then..... hmmmm.

I went for a decat pipe (sdi replacement version) and a middle pipe with no central silencer. 3" back box, side mounted. So basically an almost straight setup. Waiting for it to arrive. Will let you know what happens however my assessment will be purely based on my perceptions. 

My guess is that your torque curve will move up to around 2600. And noisier... Dont forget how diesels work- they are effectively at full throttle all the time. The only thing that varies is the amount of fuel you throw in, so the change will probably be more air flow at higher revs. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...