time to get lowered

indiglo

Hi. Ive been a member for a couple of months, but today my lupo project was taxed and insured and had her first trip out. (bought it with the previous owner delivering it to me and no test drive, so happy to report that she drives superbly for what she is.....1litre lupo, not the GTI.

while she was in the garage the ride height looked ok, but standing across the road from it, I decided that lowering is a must.

As the car has no real performance, and ive turned into a casual cruise driver instead of the traffic light GP driver I was as a kid, im after some advice on lowering but not bothered about firm handling or improved cornering ability.

All im after is a 30mm drop all round and a relaxed ride. whats good and what should be avoided?? also will I expect to replace the existing shocks or can they stay for a while??

Lowering the car may improve the handling if the roads where you live are flat and smooth but they won't improve the ride quality one jot and if you have shite roads like most of us have, and speed bumps you may come to regret it.

I've been through this dilemma recently. 

My old Arosa was lowered on 30mm quality Eibach springs. 

My new Arosa is stock. When I got  it the plan was to swap the springs over to the new one  

Maybe im getting old but the more I drove it stock, the more i liked it. 

I am now a convert and am never going back to a lowered car ??

• Like 1

I figured that apart from the looks, (which I doooo so like)  the amount of time I actually get to drive my car how I like to drive is probably 5% due to busy congested roads. 

So with lowered springs, 95% of the time I'm driving it's uncomfortable, impractical, painful  over speed bumps, scrapes up steep driveways, a pain to jack up and service blah blah. 

So 5% I'm grinning and amazed at the solid handling and 95% I'm gritting my teeth whilst sitting in queues of traffic. 

• Like 1

Thanks all for your comments. I might start with some really nice alloys and finish working on the test of the look and leave lowering to the end. Its never going to be a daily driver so I might still put up with the harsh ride for a better look. Only concern is the huge amount of speed bumps around where I live.!!!