ROOF AERIAL

ROBIN POUNDER

Finally got a nice automatic Arosa for my girlfriend, year 2000 with only 25000 miles on the clock ( the car, not the girlfriend ! )

Having to do the odd little job on it, the major one being that it needs a new roof aerial, the existing one having been snapped of at some point, leaving a "slug" of brass in the screw hole.

So I'm assuming it needs a complete replacement. I phoned my local car radio centre and they want £ 160.00 to fit one, which sounds outrageous to say the least !

Any advice would be welcome.....

It just so happens that I did this the other day- ok most of it...

You need to remove the roof liner. No option. people say that you can do it from the back, but don't believe them, as you'll break the liner.

All handles, light and sun visor stuff has to come out. Takes about 10 mins.

Then you can get to the nut holding the antenna mount in. From there it's easy.

mk 2......mmmm, interesting. First question, how do you get the roof liner out, are there clips like on the door panels. And secondly, do you have to go right back to the radio with the new aerial, or is there a connection in the cable ? Oh, and thirdly, what sort of aerial did you get, and from where ?

Haven't put the replacement in yet... Everything is in bits right now. Standard vw antenna. I like everything to be oem.

no clips, it is held in by all the attachments, which are all screwed in. There is a hinge like clip at the back, which means the whole liner pivots about that point, so drops at the front. Then you unhook it and take whole liner out. Theres a how-to somewhere.

theres a connector next to the antenna, which you simply unplug. Easy.