Lupo 1.8T mounting style questions

Rallyedude

Right , so just bought a 2001 Lupo 1.8t yesterday. Now , here in Canada this is a big deal. Lupos are not legal here unless older than 15yrs. So an importer I know kind of surprised me this week with a phone call telling me his container was coming in last tuesday. So, how could I say no... I remember seeing Venom's green one at Inter's years ago. A Lupo has been on my list ever since.  

I've been reading about motor swap ideas since I got the call earlier this week. I'd love a VR 24V but, any install I've seen involves a lot of chopping of body. So, 1.8T it is. I like the idea of Mk3 style welded on to stock subframe , Then custom front mount .  Anyone have a better idea? Or is there a mount install kit available? 

I've built 4 Mk1 VR's before with 3 different mounting systems, I've built 2 syncro corrado's , TDi swaps, B3/before passat syncro swaps, 1.8T swaps, 2.7T audi 90, etc. So the 1.8T Lupo is certainly do-able. But evidently the UK has 15 yrs of knowledge on me in this area .  So, ideas ? thanks, Rune. 

Edited by Rallyedude

a. Read a few threads.

generally the leg mounts are the most used mounting method.

polo 9n3 inlet allows more manipulation with mounting.

if it is an rhd lupo, use a tdi or gti pedalbox for the hydro clutch.

gti or tdi selector for cables.

I did see that red one . I see he used a lower brace . Sort of a variant on mk4 pendulum style mount .  Of that style , the most solid mount seems to be when the use mk4 lower dogbone. But you end up with less road clearance.

I'm leaning towards mk3 mounts . Keeps your chassis legs clear . I only found this one in Sweden . http://www.mestmotor.se/bilsnack/forum/showthread.php?359111-vr6nitrous-Henkes-Lupo-1-8t-projekt&s=fd8035b26ca15337878e46b4543fe3c9

Although it looks like a left side bracket from an Audi A4 longitudinal set up used as ft mount .  I'd probably just rock a mk3 4cyl 02A bracket . Build up a from subframe to meet up to it .

• 1 month later...

Yes I'm aware of port size differences . Honestly with a k03s 180hp motor (with programming @215hp) I'll be happy enough . From 49 to 215hp . I'm happy with that !  Trying to get it through safety check right now . Quebec doesn't like coilovers . My German contact should be bringing a stock suspension in a week or so . My mk6 Rwagon project is next on my list . The Lupo swap will be this winter ! 

I blame the want of this project on venom's vomit green Lupo 1.8t from back in the day . Saw it at inters knew I had to have one ! 

I'm with you. 1000bhp+ has been done on the small port heads anyway. The AGU/AEB isn't all that. Plus DBW has its tuning benefits.

I've got a spare AJQ(180/240) dyno'd at 231PS/332Nm and minimal lag on a K03 and ME7. I'm tempted to put it in a Lupo and be done.

I'm in Canada . I think you're talking about the red one that got rebuilt on a USA spec Montana green shell . That one is amazing . 

I just used to fund my uk trips bringing euro spec parts back  to Canada in the 90's. 

I bought mine from Jim at awesome years ago . Then got married, side tracked . But back on track these days ! 

This is my most recent build . Smyth kit I call "divorce therapy".Take a mk4 4dr, cut half off , install kit . Now I got a BDF Ute !

image.jpeg

The silver one based on  a wagon? Loved the look of that car . Mine has reduced leg room . I'm 6'2", it's a bit tight . Reality it's kind of useless for my lifestyle . If it had a locking tonneau cover itd be perfect.  But I'm selling it so won't be my problem! 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I did some reading on control arm bushings . Thought they were same as mk4 golf . Took it apart . Apparently not ! 

Any recommendations on upgrades ? Is there a factory solid version? I'd rather not go poly . 

What do people typically use  to convert to 5 lug and rear disc brakes ? 

The ft looks like some mk3 VR parts could be made to work with not huge hassle . My 1.0L has drums .  Seems like most people switch rear beams to a gti model to get mounting tabs for rear caliper . I'm thinking my best bet might be to use mk3 disc rear stub axles ( which incorporate caliper mounting tabs). Any other suggestions? That don't involve shipping a gti beam across the Atlantic. 

Actually I'm getting someone to look at a gti next week . And I'd run it stock . But gti's keep value so playing around with this 1.0L doesn't bother me  .  Also having more easily available parts on it makes future maintenance easier . Instead of waiting two months to get parts , two hours . 

Thanks for the help !