Gearbox linkage

So i was just nipping out...

Then selecting gears went all wired..

First gear is in reverse and first, reverse apparently doesn't exist, 3rd and 4th seem to be correct...

The gearstick is really lose and doesn't follow the standard pattern? I can almost get a 6th gear...

I haven't jacked up and had a look yet, just seeing if anybody's got any ideas...

I don't believe it's the box, no whining, no grinding, no crunching...

sound like a linkages, pretty straight forward if its like the SDI, the gearbox selector is a shaft that goes in and out and also rotates, when  the plastic bit off the linkage brakes off you loose the roatation bit so end up being stuck between the last set of gears used, its look somthing like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-LUPO-POLO-6N-SEAT-AROSA-GEARSHIFT-STICK-LINKAGE-REPAIR-KIT-6N0711575A-/322314784213?fits=Car+Make%3AVW|Model%3ALupo&hash=item4b0b754dd5:g:u6EAAOSwMVdYGbYv

it fits onto two little ball bolts, when i did mine one of the ball bolts was very loose so replaced that as well

that look like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-LUPO-POLO-6N-SEAT-AROSA-GEARSHIFT-STICK-LINKAGE-REPAIR-KIT-BALL-STUD-JOINT-/231772601803?hash=item35f6b93dcb:g:FcUAAOSwcBhWYBOq

the lnks are just examples, if you search around you will get better prices

hope this is of some use

• Like 1

Hi thanks for the replies! :)

Had the car up early, turned out the gearbox linkage that attaches to the box had snapped next to one of the bolts. 

Instasize_0318172239_zpsguoutggk.jpg

Only problem now is I don't have first gear. I hadn't touched the bolt in the picture that was just swapped over. I had to remove the other one with like a square bolt. Is it a case of just adjusting that? 

Instasize_0318172711_zpstsh4bsuk.jpg

Cheers :)

So...

I actually had to adjust B even tough i never adjusted it in the first place! :wtf:

Read a few things online saying you need a specific tool. But there was also a guide saying undo both nuts and put gear stick between 1 and 2 and tighten bolts. It actually worked first time :P all back together and working once again