Timing question

my locking tool does not line up with the crankshaft timing mark, the mark can be either before or after but not dead on, whats the norm 1.4 tdi pd

1st picture is over exposed but you can see the locking tool arrow just before the timing mark (better picture added with super hi res cgi enhancement)

WP_20170305_13_29_26_Pro.jpg

WP_20170305_13_28_55_Pro.jpg

Edited by Mobieus_uk
added a super cgi enhanced version

Wrong tool? I thing my kit has two in it.

http://workshop-manuals.com/volkswagen/polo-mk3/power_unit/3-cylinder_diesel_engine/engine_cylinder_head_valve_gear/cylinder_head/removing_installing_and_tensioning_toothed_belts/

mark is in different location on that one.

You have a white line at the back casing it is probably tdc from a previous belt change, assuming it needs tdc you can probably get tdc confirmed thru glow plug hole with a bit of care. (edit: 3 cyls but assume it would still be cyl 1 cambelt end)

Edited by Sausage

solved with trial and error, timing mark at 1200 no go, timing mark 2 teeth to the right no crank (byhand), 1 tooth the the right (no crank by hand) 1 tooth to the left completed crank by hand, engine starts and runs first time all sounds good just need to stick it back together and test

zooming in to the picture of the sprocket i think the timing mark is to the left of the locking pin hole, makes sence as thats pretty much what im lined up against but hard to see and it look like its taken a bit of damage in the past

Edited by Mobieus_uk

The kit had 2 tools in it, the one that fits the arrow is in the worng place and the one that does fit the arrow it pretty much where ive set the timing, its it was a straight forward belt change on a engine that was running it would really matter, as i suspected belt slip due to the state of the belt i want to be more accurate, trail and error paid off in the end, plus i learned loads which is always satisfying, still got to refit the old cam sensor to be fully sure but son has decided to rob bits of the car before ive finished proving it works