Not a lupo but...

todays fun was on a VW polo 1.4 tdi pd engine, I knew the belt was worn but hoping the engine has survived and the timing was off causing the crank position implausable signal fault, so far its been a really easy little job, the joys of 3 cylinders loads of room, the timing marks pretty much lined up, if they were way out i wouldnt be bother to stick a new cam belt on, jumping a couple of teeth things may be ok

WP_20170304_13_25_32_Pro.jpg

WP_20170304_13_25_23_Pro.jpg

WP_20170304_13_11_20_Pro.jpg

Edited by Mobieus_uk
spelling a content

22 teeth missing on the old belt, it ran initially but rough, i rechecked all my timing marks, pretty easy on this engine crank sprocket has a line that needs to be at the 1200 postion and the locking pin fitted in the locking hole on the cam sprocket so cant be far out, no really loss a bit of experiance and we only paid £100 for the car, would feel really bad if it was running before i did the cam belt but as it wasnt had nothing to lose apart from £30 for a new belt, had a buyer lined up who was willing to give £350 if i got it up and running

not sure how i can verify the timing any more than i already have

Edited by Mobieus_uk

Also check the tdc mark on the flywheel.

you might be lucky, but with the old belt that badly stripped, i suspect that the head and/or pistons have had it.

Ive been down that road before with the bora,  son has another polo so will be swapping some bits round, and maybe start breaking the car, it only owes me 130 so might make a litte extra, depends how long I can put up with it taking space on my driveway

Edited by Mobieus_uk